Working At The Zoo Storytime: Lions, Tigers, And Rain (Oh My)

PTSD flashbacks inbound!

1
Marc Anthony Brown

Hello dear readers, do you like the rain? Honestly, do you enjoy particles of water falling from the sky on a once a week basis? I think we as humans living on Earth take rain for granted. No seriously, hear me out! I remember as a kid learning about other planets how it rains diamonds on Saturn or something like that. Rain is so common on our planet it's hard to imagine places without it. We all appreciate the rain… except me. Now hear me out, I love being inside on a cloudy afternoon with the rain coming down outside. The raindrops slamming against the roof creating a cascade of sound. That rain is fine and dandy, 10/10 would recommend. Although, any other type of rain is annoying.

And I know there's someone reading this right now who's like: "Oh look first world problems think of the kids in Africa." I totally get it where you're coming from. But when you are like me and traumatized by rain it becomes a different story. It all started at the zoo as most things in my life stems from. You see, During the summer I am a camp counselor and I work with kids at the zoo. We walk around all day, looking at animals all that jazz. Well in my early years of working at the zoo there used to be this gate near the back of the zoo. Every morning and afternoon we would open that gate and have parents drive into a pick up/drop off location. Then, one of us lovely camp employees would have to stand there and make sure no one who wasn't supposed to be there goes through. Well, one day I was put on duty and the forecast said some rain was coming in after 4:00 pm.

I was like cool, whatever. So I stand there, watching the cars pass by and I look over to see a dark storm cloud approaching. As soon as I saw that storm cloud my jaw dropped. My face looked like Simba's from the "Lion King." Lighting flashes from beneath the storm clouds, thunder filled the air with rumble. As this storm cloud slowly came closer and closer and closer to my position I simply accepted my fate. I couldn't go anywhere, there was no shelter. I have no umbrella, and I have to man the gate.

Eventually, the water came down and I got drenched. And all I could do was smile and wave as cars pass on by. Luckily, a car stopped and one of my campers for that week came racing out with a leopard printed umbrella in hand. She said, "Here, take it." I tried to refuse as I was standing there in the rain soaking wet, the wind splashing more water. But the mom said I could return it tomorrow and with that, they sped away. And I was there soaking wet with a leopard umbrella watching more and more cars drive by as I waited for my shift to end.

So in conclusion, ever since that day I have despised the rain and take great precautions to avoid it. Just last night I got off of work at 4 am and it was raining. Thankfully everyone was asleep because I sprinted down the middle of Court Street racing back to Bromley. Moral of the story… there is no moral I just have PTSD thanks to the rain.