ysiv review

Saying Goodbye To Young Sinatra, A Review Of YSIV

Logic released his fourth installment of his Young Sinatra persona, YSIV on September 28th and the Rattpack is going nuts over this.

92
http://www.twitter.com/logic301

Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, aka Logic, has done it again. His 10th collection of music, fourth one written from his persona of Young Sinatra, YSIV, is one of the best albums yet. Bringing back the boom bap for the Rattpack (Logic's fans), fans found out about the release of YSIV when Logic dropped a freestyle on his Twitter after dropping his single, 'The Return'. Fans were aware he was dropping another album, which everyone thought was going to be his next project, Ultra 85, but anyone who knows how Logic is knows he's always got something up his sleeve with his music. Today, we're taking a look, track by track and giving a synopsis and review on his amazing album.

1. Track One: Thank You (ft. Lucy Rose and The Rattpack)

Bringing Lucy Rose, an English singer-songwriter from Warwickshire, England back on this album, Thank You begins with a skit that left off from his song "AfricAryan" off his 2017 album Everybody, where we hear Thomas and Kai cueing up the fourth album, as Thomas says, "His last one", and fans learn it's the last Young Sinatra album. The song starts off hard, bringing back the Young Sinatra roots that everyone fell in love with, and we even get to hear Bobby sing a little bit in the chorus with Lucy, "Thank you, thank you for letting me speak my mind..", is Logic's way of giving back to the fans for all their support and dedication. The song ends with a multitude of fans' voicemails that were sent in, saying their names and where they're from. This was a tear jerker for me, honestly. Definitely shows that Logic is a selfless person who's doing this for his fans.

2. Track Two: Everybody Dies

"You are watching a master at work."

The second song off this album, and Logic's second single he released ahead of releasing the album, Everybody Dies definitely helps embody the idea of boombap rap. We hear some familiar ad-libs and audios that are from older works of Logic such as the infamous "Logic" voiceover. Fans learn that Logic is "sitting on five unreleased albums", meaning that this man is not done making music and putting out the good beats for the fans. His novel, Supermarket is mentioned, which we are still are unsure of a release date. But, knowing how Bob works, it could be dropped at any time. That's what he's good at, leaving us on our toes.

3. Track Three: The Return

"Sinatra."

Hearing the fan favorite, Sinatra voiceover, you already know this song is going to be a hit. He drops the lines right away and spits the flames with this track and brings more nostalgia when Bobby rings in the chorus and hits us all with lyrics from "Dear God" off his album Young Sinatra: Undeniable,

"When shit rough, I get tough, and when I'm beaten to the ground I get up.." Surely to hit you right in the gut and the heart with those lyrics. Definitely, one of my favorites on the album, worth the listen even if you don't check out the rest of YSIV, which, why wouldn't you? This album SLAPS.

4. Track Four: The Glorious Five

This track brings back hardcore Young Sinatra feels, young Logic rapping on the streets. The beat is cold, the rhymes and flow are amazing. Bob even adds a little singing into his song, which is always great to hear. This song really embodies the idea of making it one day and working through your hard struggles, and how Bobby worked his way through everything, which seems to be a common theme in his songs, but that's something so unique about him; he writes his songs, usually tying together and you can really listen to any album on shuffle in a full discography and somehow, they all tie together.

5. Track Five: One Day featuring Ryan Tedder

The third single released by Bobby, he brings in Ryan Tedder, lead singer of One Republic for a song that has a powerful message behind it. Performing this at the VMA's, Logic and Ryan brought out a group of children who were separated from their parents due to the immigration laws President Trump is putting in place. Logic even sported a "Fuck the wall" shirt, which got a couple of people talking. Logic stands behind the message of PLP, Peace, Love, and Positivity and "equality for every man, woman, and child, regardless of race, religion, color, creed, and sexual orientation", which makes him a very amazing person to stand behind. One day, everyone will be equal, even if that day isn't today, we keep working for that, and that's exactly what Bob explains in this song.

6. Track Six: Wu-Tang Forever featuring Wu-Tang Clan

While it's the 25th anniversary of Wu-Tang Clan, what better way to celebrate than to get them all on a track with an iconic rapper? Logic never thought this would be possible, but he brought together all the members of Wu-Tang together for an amazing 8 minute song that is flames after flames. Logic opens the song, but he lets the clan take the rest of the song. This is probably one of my favorite songs off the album, not only because of the iconic rappers featured, but it's just a deep rooted rap song, that really brings you back to the 90's with the beat.

7. Track Seven: 100 Miles and Running featuring Wale and John Lindahl

This song was a little different from what most Logic fans are used to hearing. The beat of this song is something that my brother said, "is from Fortnite" and definitely one I see people making cool dance routines to. Bob brought on Wale and John Lindahl on for this track, and Bobby spits the lines left and right. The best part of the song? Try the last two minutes of the song! Logic brings back a good classic freestyle, "Jack the Ripper", that is probably Logic's fastest freestyle ever performed. I mastered Gang Related, which is fast, but I think I will even have trouble getting this down by the time Bobby tours again. Just listen to it, and you'll understand what I'm talking about. Definitely worth the listen and definitely brings back old memories of early days.

8. Track Eight: Ordinary Day featuring Hailee Steinfeld

The beat to this song alone has been teased to fans for a while and once fans were able to listen to the full song, we knew that this was the beat that Logic had been teasing at us for a while. this wasn't the song I would've expected on a Young Sinatra album, since Hailee Steinfeld doesn't necessarily fit the Young Sinatra vibe, but who knows? Maybe that's what Bob was going for.

9. Track Nine: YSIV 

The title song off his mixtape, he shares some reoccuring samples from Young Sinatra II, Young Sinatra, and most notably, Nas' 1994 track "Life's a Bitch". The first verse is a slightly altered version of his YSIV freestyle, which we know what was Logic used to announce his album. Following Mac Miller's unfortunate passing, Logic added a brief intro and outro paying his respects to the late rapper, revealing that Mac was the reason Bob started the "young sinatra shit".

10. Track Ten: Street Dreams II

Street Dreams II is the sequel to Street Dreams, which was never officially released, but Logic wishes he would've released the first one. He pays homage to Big L, who Bob says was a huge influence of his rapping craft. He appears to make a story of fake characters where he robs a store with his in-house producer 6ix, similar to the first song, where in the end it turns out to be a dream.

11. Track Eleven: The Adventures of Stoney Bob

This track as first hinted in an Instagram video Logic dropped during tour called the "Mary Jane freestyle", where we see Logic rolling up some joints and spitting some lines. This is a collab with some familiar names such as Big Lenbo and Slaydro, who helped Bob come up to be the name he is today. This is the second song in the last year involving smoking weed Logic has put out, the first one being Indica Badu, which was on his last album Bobby Tarantino II, which happened to be four minues and twenty seconds as well.

12. Track Twelve: Legacy 

The twelfth track of this album is yet another daydream taken from Bobby's point of view, where he's dreaming of a man that works his entire life off to provide for his family that he's unintentionally ignoring. The first two verses describe how he misses major events in his children's lives since he's working so hard to make sure they don't starve or don't ever have any clothing, shelter, basic necessities. But ultimately in the end, it's not his legacy that'll matter, it's the memories that are left behind is what really matters. People probably ask, "Logic has a kid? Since when?" He doesn't. This was also a common theme in 'Everybody', his album before Bobby Tarantino II, where he's more so rapping from a different perspective.

13. Track Thirteen: ICONIC featuring Jaden Smith

The highly anticipated collab with Logic and Jaden Smith, that fans thought was hinted at months ago when Logic had posted a picture with the young rapper. The track plays on Jaden's single ICON, which earned him Gold in early 2018, and Jaden had even hinted at a collab months ago in an interview where he mentions how hard Logic is working. This song definitely slaps, and definitely worth the listen. But, the whole album is worth the listen.

14. Track Fourteen: Last Call

The tear-jerker of the album, Logic bids a thank you to his fans and an experience of his life. Throughout the song, he is reminiscing about his early life, childhood, family, friends, and the music. He emphasizes the idea of being yourself and enjoying life throughout the entirety of the song. The outro of the song gives us a little outlook on what Logic has planned for the near future. This song definitely brings a great closing chapter to the end of Young Sinatra and how Bobby is moving on from the days of his boombap rap, so he's not putting out boombap after boombap.

Even if you aren't a fan of Logic, this album is definitely it. Although Lil Wayne dropped his highly anticipated album on the same day, I definitely think that Logic's album is worth the listen, worth the wait, and a great way to say goodbye to Young Sinatra. He did it for the Rattpack, and the Rattpack is proud.