5 YouTube Channels That Helped Me Come Out Of The Closet

Coming out is intimidating even for the most loving families.

208
Unsplash

Coming out of the metaphorical closet can be intimidating for anyone, especially if your religion adamantly goes against the LGBT+ community. It takes courage, strength, determination, and lots of self love to embrace a part of yourself that some people find "uncomfortable" or "awkward." No one wants to stand out in a negative light, and in my eyes, that is exactly what I thought was going to happen if I came out.

Before I felt comfortable openly coming out, I was desperately searching to find some kind of help. I had an extreme feeling of loneliness and I definitely did not love myself. I thought, much like the Church had taught me, that I was not worthy of being a normal citizen because of my sexuality. I felt less than in my community.

Finally, I was able to find a huge LGBT+ community on Youtube. If it were not for these five Youtube channels, I would be buried so deep in the closet I would never find my way out.

1. Nowthisisliving

Shannon Beveridge talks about her journey through life as a lesbian. Considering I was completely clueless that you could live a "normal" life as a lesbian who was open about her sexuality, Shannon 100% changed my life and helped me come out more than I can express.

2. Ambers Closet

From LGBT+ topics to fun challenges with her girlfriend, Amber made me realize that I do not have to force myself into a box just because of my sexuality. She helped me understand that not all lesbians are the same and that you are allowed to be unforgivingly you!

3. Team2Moms

Ebony and Denise are two moms raising three kids! They have also raised my confidence in believing that I will have a family of my own one day. They have family-friendly videos that allowed me to realize that not all family units are heterosexual.

4. Koi's Corner

While Koi focuses on spiritual and philosophical teachings, he also discusses self help and self love. He helped me understand a deeper part of my being that was allowed to feel and experience new exciting thing. I learned from Koi to always be mindful of my thoughts, especially the thoughts directed toward yourself. If you are always beating yourself up mentally, you are physically beating yourself up too.

5. Stevie

Not only has Stevie helped me understand my sexuality in so many ways, she opened doors to exploring LGBT+ communities that I never knew about (pride)! She helped me understand more LGBT+ terminology and gather more information on who I define myself as. Not that labels are necessary, but they can be helpful for some people, like myself.

If I never discovered these five YouTube channels, I would still be "straight."

1. https://www.youtube.com/user/flips8trgrl3

2. https://www.youtube.com/user/AmbersCloset33/featured

3. https://www.youtube.com/user/OliviaHas2Moms

4. https://www.youtube.com/user/koiscorner

5. https://www.youtube.com/user/SassiBoB