You Know You're From New York When...

You Know You're From New York When...

You drink caw-fee and avoid Times Square

735
You Know You're From New York When...

When you spend enough time in the Big Apple, there are several ways to know whether or not you've actually become a real "New Yorker." Here are seven ways to know if you make the cut or not:

1. You understand this picture.

The trains are always late, so much so that even the train itself is looking to see where it is. Sure, MTA has a set schedule but that doesn't mean the trains are going to follow it. Your train will be five minutes away and arrive to the station in seven or maybe it comes on time but you can't avoid the inevitable delays. If you get to the train station an hour before work when the commute is only 30 minutes, you know you're living that New York life.

2. Personal space isn't a thing.

Once I had a stranger so close to me on the train our breathes mixed. I know that sounds ABSOLUTELY disgusting but it's just another day in the NYC subway. You get used to being under someone's armpit, squished up against the door, or so close to a person you can probably smell what they had for breakfast. A stranger was so close to me this morning that when the train rocked, we nearly kissed. Am I disgusted? Yes. Am I used to it? Of course.

3. You don't understand what people are talking about when they swear you have an accent.

Fuggedaboudit, caw-fee,mudda,awe-nty, the list goes on. Although you don't realize it, you have this impeccable godfather accident that lets everyone knows you're from New York. Hilariously enough this accent used to be associated with lower class people because they couldn't speak proper english but now it seems like most native New Yorkers speak like this. Yeah you don't realize it and neither do your fellow New Yorkers but people don't let you live it down.

4.You know proper grammatical English but you'll still use these terms in your every day life.

An example of this could be a simple sentence such as, "it is quite cold outside." In NY slang, people can be heard saying "yooo it's brick city." I never knew the term "brick" was a New York thing. Yes, they mean the same thing, but you won't catch me using words like "yo" or "brick"in a interview. However, when I'm not being professional, I don't use "proper" english.

5. You're Rude

Okay so this one isn't proven, nor is it actually true, but people seem to love this stereotype about New Yorkers. We are known to be the meanest people in existence, when in reality New Yorkers are quite nice. Maybe we have resting bitch face or maybe we just need you to get out of the way so we can go where we need to go. Which leads us to our next point.

6.You Got Fast Feet

If Google maps tells you the walk is 10 minutes, you can make it in seven and stop at the bodega for a caw-fee and bagel. If you always have somewhere to be, you might as well learn to be fast on your feet, time is money and New Yorkers need money. The only thing that can slow down a road runner like you is our least favorite thing in the world...

7. TOURISTS!

You don't hate tourists, or maybe you do, but there's just a certain lack of love in your heart for them. For their stopping in the middle of the street to take pictures while you're just trying to get to work, or walking too slow in fast-paced traffic, or stopping to enjoy the New York scenery on a busy street. Keep it pushing or get pushed, getting from one end of the block to the other can take up to 5 minutes, even with your quick New York feet.

And Remember the Most New York thing of all...