No, You're Not A Transphobic Bigot If You Don't Want To Date Trans People
Politics

Chances are, you're not transphobic,

603

It seems as if one cannot simply disagree nowadays, they must be labeled as a "bigot" or "transphobic" or "homophobic." It's as if by disagreeing with someone's view, you're somehow labeled as intolerant and irrevocably wrong.

The truth is, it's OK to not agree with gay marriage, it's OK to believe in traditional gender roles. We may disagree on these issues, but we can, and must, respect each other despite them.

Political discourse in America is extremely fractured, in no small part because of the internet and with the ease that people can post opinions.

For America's politics to start working again, my generation will have to eventually put down their smartphones and pick up a conversation in real life — with a real person.

I'm thinking of this incendiary article by Tiffany Berruti, in which she sheepishly claims that "not being attracted to trans people is deeply transphobic."

Sorry, but that's bull, and we all know it.

No one is transphobic simply because they aren't attracted to trans people.

In the same way, I wouldn't call you cisphobic for not being attracted to cis people.

As I write this, Berruti's piece is trending on Odyssey's homepage.

The truth is, I don't have to do a lot of things in life. There's no law saying I have to be a kind, caring and accepting person, is there?

I try to be because Christ commands me to.

In the same way, You don't have to tell someone you're trans before dating them, but you should.

You should because you're a decent person and care about another person's feelings more than your own.

Who knows, though, I guess that's too much to ask for nowadays...basic decency.

Ronald Reagan once said that "All great change in America begins at the dinner table."

As American's, let's get back to that table.

Tiffany, I hope to see you there.