Here's Your Daily Reminder That Your Racism Isn't Patriotism

"I'm not racist, I have a black friend." OK, Chad.

35

I wish I could honestly say I'm shocked I was compelled to write this again. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised. I am still highly annoyed to be writing this all this once again. America is known as the "promised land" for those seeking opportunity and better lives. I mean, that's what people love to tell themselves, right? The pilgrims "discovered" America and migrated here so they could be free. What about "liberty and justice for all?" Who is that for?

If you don't think this applies to everyone who comes to America for a better life, then who is it for?

Seriously, this cannot be argued. America was built on the mass genocide of Native Americans. Millions slaughtered, infected with disease, brutally raped, and left to die. Millions of slaves endured the same pain for hundreds of years. The legacy of these crimes still lives on today. The descendants of oppressed people are still disadvantaged today.

The Native American reservation system has failed, and native people still fight to hold on to what's left of their land. Black people fear for their lives every time they are confronted by a cop, they never know when they will be the next victim of police brutality. Most people of color who have even a touch of an accent are told to "go back to where they came from."

Doesn't matter if they were born here, live here, or are on vacation, they're constantly targeted.

When you confront a white person for their behavior, the go-to response is usually "I'm not racist some of my best friends are- *insert race that somehow makes them not racist*" or "I don't care if you're black, white, purple, yellow" etc, etc.

OK, Chad, that doesn't make you not racist, man.

Just stop.

People love to throw the phrase "People are just too sensitive these days." Yeah, people are sensitive because they're tired of being oppressed. Be thankful you've never had to experience anything remotely similar to what they experience on a daily basis.

At this point, if you're not outraged by the way people of color, both citizen and non-citizens are still being treated, you're part of the problem. And yes, I will continue to call you out on your racism. Don't like the label? Change your behavior, and remember, no one is legally here when you're on stolen land.