A New Year Calls For A New Sound To Be Added To Your Playlist For January

Music can bring people together

114
Unsplash

Who is in need of new tunes? I don't tend to leave music from the past in the past, but I wanted to bring a refreshing playlist into 2018. This year feels like the year to discover new music. Spotify came in handy at the end of 2017 with a list of their clients' top artists, albums, and songs in general from the past year.

This was a great way to review what new bands I had discovered or what my most-played song was. I enjoyed the eclectic mix I created for myself, and I want to keep the tradition going. This year, it's time to find those new bands; here are the albums and artists that I have been listening to in 2018 so far.

1. Spongebob Squarepants: The New Musical

If you are anything like me, you may have been ready for the "next big musical" of 2018; this is my pick. Before you roll your eyes at the idea of a musical about that yellow, annoying square, hear me out. While this musical's title sounds like it could lead to a flop, the soundtrack has been anything but. With a stellar cast who do justice to a certain lovable sponge and his undersea friends, Spongebob Squarepants is worth the listen.

2. "No Roots" from Alice Merton

If you are a fan of Florence and the Machine-like I am, then chances are you will love this catchy song by Alice Merton. With a techno sound and a voice that floats like Florence Welch, "Roots" will definitely get stuck in your head in the best way possible. Although she has not released any other songs on Spotify yet, Merton is definitely an artist to keep an eye on for more great singles.

3. Rivers & Robots

Reminding me of a psychedelic-rock "Hillsong", Rivers & Robots has strong, biblically based lyrics and wonderful sounds supporting them. Their song "Shepherd of My Soul" from their 2014 album All Things New is a reinterpretation of Psalm 23. If you like Citizens and Saints, Hillsong United, or The Brilliance, check out Rivers & Robots and their newest album, Still.

4. NPR: Radiolab

My dad introduced me to NPR, or National Public Radio, at a young age; I have always been fascinated with the way stories are told over the radio. "Radiolab" is one of the segments from NPR that is offered as a podcast, and the interviews range from solving a murder in the 1970s to meeting a girl who, according to US policy, does not exist (this is my favorite one). We should always be learning, and one way to do so is to listen; "Radiolab" offers an interesting and entertaining approach to learning through its podcasts.

There are so many new sounds to listen to in the world, and I have only reached the tip of the iceberg. What music has pumped you up for 2018? What music brought you through 2017? Share with me what you have been listening to! Music is a universal voice and a harmonic gatherer; it can bring people together who may have nothing else in common except for their favorite bands.