A Review Of The Movie, "Your Name"

A Review Of The Movie, "Your Name"

One of the best animated films of all time.

78
A Review Of The Movie, "Your Name"
zerochan

Last week, I wrote about Paramount Pictures' upcoming collaboration with JJ Abrams to bring the hit anime film "Your Name" to Hollywood in a live-action adaptation. To recap: I'm not excited. Live-action adaptations of anime films have been historically terrible, to say the least.

Consider how awful "Dragon Ball Evolution" turned out and how poorly-received "Ghost In The Shell" (also by Paramount Pictures) was.

"Your Name" is bound to suffer the same fate. Before that happens (if that happens), I'd like to share my personal review of the film for anyone who hasn't seen it or is considering watching it. Don't let the fact that it's an anime film dissuade you.

Let's start with the music because I'm currently listening to the soundtrack on Spotify and I need to revise a statement I made in my previous article. Contrary to the typical arrangements of composers scoring soundtracks, providing what are usually large orchestral arrangements (think Joe Hisaishi and his work with "Studio Ghibli"), "Your Name" features a soundtrack composed and performed by the Japanese rock band, RADWIMPS.

The arrangements are minimal in nature, featuring a handful of string instruments and piano melodies, but it's the featured songs that really grab your attention. Fast-paced, rhythmic, and emotional rock tracks like "Dream Lantern" and "Zen Zen Zense" perfectly complement the tone of the film, while also providing a unique sound for an animated film soundtrack.

For audiences experiencing the film in the English Dubbed version, RADWIMPS translated the main songs into English so nothing is lost in translation.

The film was written and directed by Makoto Shinkai, who is famous for other works like "5 Centimeters Per Second" and "Garden Of Words," among others. He's garnered lots of attention for the stunning, photorealistic scenery and use of color in his works.

Where Disney brings whimsy and Miyazaki brings nostalgia, Shinkai brings magic.

Even in a piece like "Garden Of Words" grounded in 'real' life, there's still a sense of something surreal and magical about the time, place and story. This can only be attributed to Shinkai's unique style.

For fans of Shinkai and his artwork, "Your Name" is sure to satisfy, and for newcomers it is guaranteed to impress. There's truly no other animated film that looks or feels anything like it. It's visually stunning, even in the context of his previous films.

But what is a film without a good story? Pretty animation and a solid soundtrack are nice, but if the writing sucks then everything falls apart. Thankfully, "Your Name" succeeds in this aspect as well, as the story is just as funny and relatable as it is emotional and heartwrenching.

There are very minor spoilers ahead, so if you want to avoid them, turn back now. I'll keep them to a minimum, but you've been warned.

"Your Name" tells the story of teenagers Taki (a boy) and Mitsuha (a girl) caught in a sticky situation. Periodically, the two of them swap bodies at random and it is as awkward as you would expect. The story details their struggles as they learn to adapt to their situation and try to make the most out of it.

The 'magic' comes in the form of a comet that rarely makes its rounds (think Halley's Comet) and how it impacts--literally--the two protagonists' lives. Once they realize what's going to happen, they work together to change the future.

It's a coming-of-age tale of love, tragedy, adventure and growing up. The story feels so grand in stature, yet small in nature. It's an immersive experience that's bound to make your eyes sparkle with tears.