Your Guide to Moving to a College Cross-Country

Moving to a brand new place may be necessary to get a degree in your intended field. If you are planning to a move across the country to attend college, there are a few things you should keep in mind before you do anything else. Organization, the right movers and knowing what you're going to need before you leave are crucial.

34
Moving to a College Cross-Country

A college degree is a valuable asset. College graduates make more money than those with only a high school diploma. One of the great things about living in the United States is there are so many wonderful college possibilities. It's easy to find a program you want. Moving to a brand new place may be necessary to get a degree in your intended field. If you are planning to a move across the country to attend college, there are a few things you should keep in mind before you do anything else. Organization, the right movers and knowing what you're going to need before you leave are crucial.

Effective Movers

Effective movers are a good idea. Moving cross country is a big chore. It's a good idea to have someone on your side to help out. You want experts who know what they're doing and how to make sure the move flows smoothly. Movers can be with you during a long trip. Look for those who can get the job done. If you are moving to a new state, you should search for movers who are listed in more than one state if possible. Think about the kinds of services you want before you leave. A long move might require you to put your things in storage as you move. Finding cross-country movers who have more than one secure facility between you and your intended destination is a good option.

Getting Organized

Organization should be a foundation of your plans. A move all the way across the country will need lots of steps. With that in mind, you'll want to stay on top of it all. Now is the time to come up with a step-by-step process that indicates what has to be done and when it must get done. This should include specifics. In many instances, a move of this kind will require at least one or more overnight stops. You want to investigate possible places to stay before you leave. Students on a tight budget can stay in low cost housing temporary options such as hostels.

An Early Start

An early start is imperative in a cross country college move. All freshmen should know exactly when they are expected on campus and when classes start. Returning students should know about any changes that have happened since the last attended classes. If you are not sure, contact the college directly. They can help clear up any questions. Allow at least a week for the move. Many colleges will let you move in a few days early. That way, you can have a breather before you dive right in.

What You Need

It's important to come up with a list of what you need and why. You should know what your dorm room has. In many cases, you'll probably have a bed and a desk of your own. You will probably need to bring your own bedding. Think about the kind of touches you want to add to your dorm room to bring it to life. If you haven't been the town where you college is situated, look up what stores are in that area. Shopping locally rather than bringing things with you is a great way to save money and reduce clutter at the same time.

Special Circumstances

Special circumstances require special planning. For example, if you are a foreign student, you'll want to have all the paperwork on hand before you do anything else. Keep all items like your passport in easy reach as the move continues. Students with a disability such as a visual impairment may be eligible for help from the college with the process of moving. If you have a support animal with you, you and the service animal have rights as you move.