If Your Current Relationship Isn't Helping You Grow, It's Time To Go

Your current relationship should make you realize why your previous relationships didn't work.

498
Priscilla Du Preez

College is a time for not only finding yourself, your future bridesmaids, and your passions, but also, finding relationships that help you grow.

I'm generally a huge advocate for finding yourself in a single setting. By stating you should grow in your relationships, this doesn't take away from the fact that finding yourself while being alone is important. It is extremely important.

However.

Sometimes the most important way to grow is by putting yourself in relationships to figure out what you want for the future.

This, by no means, is stating that you have to find your soul mate in college. You don't. It happens, but it isn't always the case. But it is important to find relationships that help you grow as a person and discover things about yourself that can only be found with someone else.

Lessons learned from relationships, while the hardest to learn, are sometimes the most valuable. You learn the most important lessons about yourself in times of heartbreak, hurt, and even 'honeymoon' happiness. It helps you put qualities to a face when you are searching for someone later in life.

This means you have to be with someone who is going to help you grow. A stagnant relationship will get you nowhere.

About a year ago, I would've been the poster child for being in a stagnant relationship. I was notorious for getting myself in relationships and flings that were toxic and not helping me whatsoever. However, even in these toxic relationships, I still managed to pull out a lesson. These faulty relationships ultimately made me realize that I didn't want to be in another relationship until I was wholeheartedly comfortable with who I was and what I wanted.

Understanding a relationship that betters you and the other person is so important. If you are with someone who is not helping you grow, you should get out. You're not bettering yourself or them, and in the long run, that is the only thing that will create a withstanding relationship. Relationships in college are meant to signify growth. They are a time of learning, while still having standards.

Ultimately, your current relationship should help you understand why the ones prior weren't meant for you.

Even if it doesn't work out in the long run, for what ever reason, it should help you grow as a person and build a steady and strong foundation for who you hope to be in the future.