Your Breakup Isn't The End Of The World

Your Breakup Isn't The End Of The World

I know it feels like the world is crashing down, but you will be okay.

1485
Your Breakup Isn't The End Of The World
Just a Trace Blog

Breaking up with your significant other is never easy. Whether you’ve dated for three months or three years, it’s difficult nonetheless. You invest so much time and energy in a person that you think “oh it’s going to work. I can make it work.” But there comes a time where no matter how much you try, things can’t be fixed, or simply put, they’re not worth fixing.

I’m being a little blunt because I unfortunately have a whole lot of experience in this topic. For as long as I can remember, I found my self worth by seeking attention from guys who don’t matter. Then I settled for one boy (I say boy purposely), and clearly, things didn’t work out. Before I say anything more, yes, I obviously cherish the happy times we spent together and wish that I could rewind back to the days when we were so happy together.

But, I settled, and everybody knew it except for me. It didn’t hit me until four years later when I finally realized how unhappy I was. My world was coming crashing down and I was so scared of change that I tried so hard to fix what was left of our relationship. When I finally realized that maybe I couldn’t fix it, I settled. I settled for someone who didn’t appreciate me anymore. I settled for someone whose constant put-downs became normal, and I started to believe them. I settled for someone who changed the way I think of myself, and not in a good way. I settled for someone who I thought was the one, but in reality, he was just an immature, egotistical, rude, disrespectful boy. It took me way too long to see his true colors, but when I did, I learned that the relationship we once had was no longer worth fixing.

I spent more time and energy stressing out over my failing relationship than I did with the important things in life like spending time with friends, family, and school. I was so caught up in this relationship that it seemed like nothing else mattered. Like anyone else who thinks they’re in love, I was so blinded by my infatuation that I didn’t see how toxic our relationship had become.

Until I did.

To this day, it’s still one of the best things that has happened to me. I know how you feel like the world is ending because your boyfriend doesn’t love you anymore, but I promise there’s a light at the end of the tunnel. Despite the pain you are in now, there’s someone out there who will be everything you’ve ever wanted and more. They’ll love and appreciate you and will change how you look at the world, in a good way. They’ll make you a better you, and it’ll be so worth the wait.

So for those of you who’ve recently faced a breakup or are going through one right now, it’s not the end of the world. I know it feels like it is, but it’s not. The sun’s still going to rise each morning and you’re going to get up and dust yourself off until one day, they disappear from your thoughts and you’ll thank God because you’re better off without them anyway.