An Open Letter To Brock Turner

An Open Letter To Brock Turner

Do you think you have paid for your actions?

20
An Open Letter To Brock Turner
CBSnews

When a child does something wrong, does putting them in the corner for five seconds teach them a lesson? When you get pulled over, does getting a warning scare you enough to not speed again? If your teenage daughter sneaks out of the house, does taking her cell phone away for thirty minutes teach her to not do it again? Do these consequences teach right from wrong? The answer is no. And the same applies to Brock Turner.

January 17, 2015, Brock Turner was found raping a woman behind a dumpster. From that fact alone, what do you think he would be sentenced to? How long do you think he should/would be imprisoned? He was sentenced a laughable six months. He served three months before being released. Three. Months.

Let me ask you (the readers) a question: If this woman was someone you know, whether it be your daughter, sister, cousin, friend, best friend, etc., how would you feel about this sentence the rapist has served?

Dear Brock Turner,

Do you think that you have paid for your actions? How do you feel knowing you ruined a woman and possibly her outlook on everything for the rest of her life? Can you imagine being unconscious and alone, waking up and finding out that while laying there a man raped your unconscious body? No, of course not. Because you're that man. You're the "man" that thought this was okay. However, you're not much of a man at all. You hurt her and her future.

Furthermore, you deserved many years in prison. You deserve to feel the same pain she went through. But instead, because you were a star athlete at your college and your daddy has money, you were released far too soon. Being released after only three months is horrifying. I'm sure you're sitting in your parents' backyard sitting by the pool and relaxing right now, feeling no regret. Do you think you have paid for your actions?

On another note (one that actually isn't about you for once in your life), imagine how she felt when she heard you were being released. The pure fear of hearing the man who raped you is getting out of jail after serving only three short months. The woman you ruined is receiving no justice for herself. She will walk around just as free as you will - as a rapist. Do you think you have paid for your actions?

Brock, you owe Mommy and Daddy quite the thank you. You have ripped apart a young woman's outlook on men and love, and you paid a very little cost for it. In the future, what if you have a daughter, Brock? God forbid anything like what you did happen to her. But, if it did, and her rapist only spent THREE months, ninety days in jail, would you be satisfied? Brock, do you think you have paid for your actions?

When a little kid sticks their tongue out and doesn't get in trouble for it, what do the other kids start to do? They also start to stick out their tongue because the first child that did it didn't get in trouble - so why would they? I hope that doesn't comply with Brock's situation. "If Brock Turner only had to spend three months, why would I have to spend any more?" I hope you haven't started anything like this Brock Turner.

Being released on 'good behavior' is kind of ironic isn't it? He raped a woman while intoxicated and after three months was released due to good behavior. That's just crazy. Good behavior should not apply to this man whose behavior was what landed him inside that cell anyways.

You are disgusting, Brock Turner.

That woman deserves to walk this Earth with more freedoms than you. She deserves to walk around alone without being afraid what you did to her is going to happen again. You ruined a woman's life at little expense to your own.

You deserve nothing but being surrounded by white walls, Turner.

If you think you have paid for your actions, you are wrong.