The Reality Of Living With Your Best Friend

It can be the best of times, or it can be the worst of times

10
Where To Get

Living with people isn’t easy. At first, we all think that living with our friends will just be one giant party. Well, at first it is. It’s a slumber party every night. From face masks, to staying up late gossiping, to scary movie nights. Your morning Starbucks dates turn into morning coffee in your pj's out on your balcony. When you have one of your wine nights, you don’t have to worry about sleeping on that uncomfortable couch. I mean, your room is right down the hall. When you need advice on an outfit, you don’t have to send a picture and then wait for a response. When you’ve had a bad day, your best friend is already home with a bottle of wine ready to cheer you up. It’s almost like you’re sisters. It’s fun for a few months, but eventually, life starts to kick in. You start bickering over little things, like the way that she put the toilet paper on the roll, or the way that you loaded the dishwasher. It just feels like you’ve spent too much time together, even though you didn’t think that that was possible. You both go out with different groups of friends to avoid your problems. It seems to work. You get to go home and gossip about something new to one another. But this doesn’t solve the issues that you both have buried. You’re still going to get mad every time that you see the backwards toilet paper roll. The tension builds up, and you will try to work it out. You try to communicate with one another, but even still it doesn’t seem like anything is changing. You both think that the other is being sensitive. Eventually, you start to hate everything that she does, and she will hate everything that you do. You’ll distance yourself from one another. You’ll only see each other in passing. Those late night gossip sessions don’t exist anymore. There are no more slumber parties or girls nights. There are no more morning coffee dates with each other. It’ll get to the point where you’ll be complete strangers. Everything that you once knew about her will have changed. It’ll be hard. You’ll still want to call her and tell her everything, but you won't be able to. Eventually, she won't be the person that you want to call, but until that day, you’ll feel alone. The year couldn’t be over fast enough. You hope that once you're not seeing each other every day, you can become as close as you used to be, but in reality, your friendship will never be the same as it was. Living with your best friend can be one of the worst things that you can do. You never really know someone until you live with them.