After Binge-Watching Netflix's 'YOU' I Binge-Deleted All My Location Tags On Instagram
Technology

I don't want to end up as the next Guinevere Beck.

116

Not proud to say I had my own personal "Joe" pretty recently.

Ok, ok, maybe not to the extent of Joe but definitely a regular boy with a sprinkle of 'Joe'rassment (see what I did there? Of course you did).

Social media is a freaking trap in general. It sucks you in, to post every little detail of your life and naturally, being the young millennials we are, we post everything; what we're doing, who we're with, what we like and dislike, the list goes on and on.

However, ever since watching "You" I've decided to be more cautious with what I share to the unknown that we call the internet.

I'm not an influencer, I don't have a following. My number one follower is probably my mother and my best friends come second but that's about it. My boyfriend doesn't even have social media (Good for him). You're probably wondering if he's "Joe" don't worry, I checked. For all I know, he doesn't have a secret library dungeon.

My excuse for having a public profile on Instagram is that I need to "brand" my page and be able to share my articles with others who aren't just my immediate family but I think I'm going to rethink how I post my pictures on social media.

I'm pretty crazy about the "location tag" Why? Because I love to travel. When I see a travel blogger post their pictures with location tags I always tend to save them so I know where I want to go next for my trip. The thing is I haven't been traveling and being a very openly proud Bruin (Go Bruins!) everyone pretty much knows the perimeters of my existence.

It's so easy to find someone on the internet nowadays because they probably have at least one account somewhere and people either treat their social media as an open diary or they just like to post things about themselves, i.e. me. I can easily find my bf's ex in 0.00005 seconds, not like I've actually tried but if I did, it would be that quick.

I've decided to not post stuff in "real time" meaning that I'll wait until I'm gone from that location to post something or I won't tag the location at all if they're really isn't a reason to. I've had a few instances where my friends would come see me at the bar I'm at because they saw me post a picture and that's completely fine. The chances of having a random person do that are low but why not avoid the whole situation in general.

I'm not here to convince you to get rid of your social media accounts but rather rethink your tags. I understand that our lives are controlled by social media, not only in our personal lives but our professional ones as well (LinkedIn). I'm here to just remind you to be cautious about what you post and how you post it. You don't want to end up being the next Guinevere Beck.