Special On Netflix Demands to Be Watched

"Special" On Netflix Was The Breath Of Fresh Air We All Need

And it's a true story!

30

I am a Netflix binge-a-holic, and I am always looking for a new show to quench my thirst for more humor, more feels, and more representation. This show has all of those things and more.

Special: Season 1 | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflixwww.youtube.com

"Special" tells the story of Ryan, an intern at a web platform obsessed with pumping out the next click-baitable article. He has trouble coming up with stories that will pack a punch. That is, until he reveals he got hit by a car, contributing to an injury and a limp. The only problem? Ryan has cerebral palsy, which causes him to not be able to control his muscles too well. His coworkers assume the car accident gave him the limp when it only gave him a sprained wrist. Now Ryan is wrapped up in lies, and it's only been 10 minutes. I promise I am not spoiling anything.

Couple this craziness with the audience meeting Ryan's mom, whose entire life has been taking care of Ryan, and you're in for a show. The trailer shows us that Ryan is trying to move out and be a 'real adult,' but his mom is simultaneously terrified and excited for him. It's quality television, folks.

I also really enjoyed the dual character growth of Ryan coming to terms with his disability and sexuality at the same time. It seems like he is more comfortable in one area, then exhibits a setback, drawing the audience in for more and more.

All of the episodes are 15-20 minutes long, making it super easy to get through the first 8 episode season. I will say there is a lot of language and some sexual content (like a pretty detailed sex scene with some nudity and a few more with a bit of detail), so if that isn't your thing (or your thing to watch in the next room from your parents) beware.

But even if there were moments of being uncomfortable or concerned about where the show was going, the refreshing, candid way the story is told is ridiculously fun, and it makes me 10x more excited to watch when I realized that Ryan O'Connell is playing himself on the show, and his experiences are semi-based on his memoir of the same name.

I can't wait to see more, and frankly, it made the story so much more wholesome and beautiful knowing that I wasn't just seeing some actor and director interpreted someone else's story. It felt raw, passionate, and at times, it was difficult to watch Ryan struggle. I realized I did not know nearly as much about disabilities as I thought I did, and some of my concepts of what ability looks like are really skewed. I was learning alongside a lot of the characters, and I need a new season of this immediately.