Despite What They Taught You, You Are Enough

We are always hoping for better, for our happiness to start.

27
Kori at Home

By consistently trying to be better than who we were yesterday, we have lost the ability to see our own personal greatness and uniqueness that lives inside each and every one of us.

We were never told as kids that we were “enough” just as we are. We were never told that we were okay just the way we are. We were never told that we are loved, valued, and important just as we are.

As millennials in American culture, we are innovative and progressive individuals. We are taught to never be satisfied and to continue to strive for greatness. In school, at home, in our jobs, in our relationships, in our friendships, we are consistently trying to improve ourselves. We were taught in school that being involved in one extracurricular activity isn’t enough and that anything less than a 3.5 GPA, is just simply not okay. We grew up thinking that every time we asked for help was a sign of weakness. We were taught that who we are doesn’t matter up against what we do or what we are involved in.

Growing up as a little girl, I compared myself to others, as any kid would. It’s part of growing up in a lot of ways and defining who you want to be. I always wanted to improve and to be the best version of myself each and every day. I was pretty hard on myself and set some high standards for success. That is a great trait to have, in a lot of ways. It kept me motivated and driven. But what happened was, I never stopped striving for better and therefore was waiting for happiness to come and it never did. Society around me was influencing me and little by little, I started to believe I wasn’t "good enough."

Here’s what I’ve learned: I have learned that all of these beliefs have led me into trouble. Who determines if we need to be involved in more than one activity to be seen as “good enough” or that anything below a 3.5 GPA is not okay? We set up these expectations for ourselves in our minds. We are all different individuals, with different strengths and talents. And as my communications professor would say, “We are all moving through the world the best way we know how.” Asking for help, despite what we think, is a sign of strength and courage, not weakness. It shows vulnerability. What we do is important and it is what our day to day lives consist of. However, who we are, and our values and character shine so much brighter.

Through difficult times, I have found that recognizing the gifts and strengths I have is so important. We often put on blinders to where we aren’t able to see anything good about ourselves. I have been there before and it’s not a good place to be. Each day, I am working to not let anyone else define me or my happiness. It is up to me. It is up to each and every one of you to live your fullest lives and to take your happiness into your own hands. It’s so empowering.

What would happen if we slowed down, if we focused on one thing at a time instead of twenty if we remembered in our minds that we are “good enough” no matter what? We are good enough because of “who we are,” not because of what we do.

You are and will always be enough.

So much love... :)