Yes, You Can Protest, But Please Don't Block A Hospital

A perspective on the protest in Lansing, Michigan

110

"Lock her up! Lock her up!" protestors shouted outside Michigan's State Capitol building in Lansing.

The protestors, who both wore and did not wear masks, held up Trump/Pence signs; had had enough of the Stay-at-Home orders enacted by Governor Whitmer, which closed all non-essential businesses in Michigan.

"I want to get my hair done!" said one woman.

"Heil Whitmer" said one man.

"For the first time, we are getting unemployment benefits, but we want to get back to work!" explained one woman.

"We want to open up our businesses tomorrow!" shouted one man.

As Trump/Pence flags were flown, one could see the heavy car traffic, which not only heavily congested downtown Lansing, but had blocked entrance to a nearby hospital as well.

Some even took their kids, who stood out in the cold, unmasked, and holding signs saying "End Stay-In Place", as if they understood what it meant. When really, all they thought was "please I want to go back to school.

As the horns honked from the outside of the capital, Governor Whitmer gave a press conference.

Isn't it ironic that by protesting the Stay-at-home border, you are putting yourself and your children more at risk. Please protest if you must, but you're just making it worse.

As the protestors outside continued to protest, millions of Americans in New York, DC, Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and more sat in their homes, struggling with anxiety, depression, isolation, all because of not being able to go outside and socialize.

Yes, millions of Americans from these cities and states could have gone outside, and taken on that "If I get Corona, I get Corona" attitude. But they stayed inside not only for themselves, but for their families, neighbors, medical personnel, grocery store workers, and the rest of American society.

Please protest if you must, but please social distance.

Please protest if you must, but please wear a mask.

Please protest if you must, but remember that everyone is struggling.

Please protest if you must, but don't block a hospital.

For Further Reading:

Gabriel Sanchez "These Pictures Show Crowds Protesting Against Coronavirus Lockdowns At State Capitols"

Guardian "Armed protesters demand an end to Michigan's coronavirus lockdown orders – video"

Tucker Carlson " For Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in the coronavirus crisis, it's all about power"

Zachary Wolf "The social-distancing deniers have arrived"