Sorry, But I Do Care That Donald Trump Is President
Politics

While you may think it is not that serious, to me it is.

4
CNN
"So what if Donald Trump is president?"
"Who cares, get over it."
"It's not that serious."

Sorry to break the news to you, but to the LGBTQ+ community, POC, Muslims, Immigrants, and many others, it is that serious. It is so serious that, in fact, many families had to sit down and figure out if they were packing their bags. While to many Trump becoming president is a joke and moving to Canada is a meme, many people are actually considering moving for the safety of their families.

It must be nice to not feel fear when Trump became elected and instead laugh. On the other hand, others watched their TV's in tears and then carried on the next day with life worried for what would become of them and their future in America. See while many of us know that Trump cannot impose such harsh and crazy laws that he said he would; we do know, however, that he can do some damage to us minorities in this country. He may not have all the power in the United States but he does have plenty.

And even if Trump does not do anything remarkably evil as a President, he has already done enough. He has brainwashed many (I will not say all because all is stereotyping a group and I am no hypocrite) of his own supporters. Our country has been separated in ways we have not seen in years. Americans fight their own because one man had the audacity to speak against certain groups. Trump has constantly bashed and said racist remarks to minorities. He has made fun of those disabled, sexually assaulted and criticized women, and has even allowed for confrontations of his own supporters. Now his supporters believe if he can do it, then they can do the same. With Trump's new America we are constantly denounced and made fun of; people are trying to make us believe that we are now below them which is simply untrue. Do you know what it is like to walk out the door and be afraid to be call some racial slur in 2016? How can we be in such modern times but be set back 50 years once again?

I did not vote for Trump. I did not want a sexist and a racist in power. I did not want a man who called my people rapists and criminals as a president. I wanted something better for America but instead the people chose the animal. How can I be proud to be an American when the elected official was accused of rape? And no, I will not just leave. Many Trump supporters have told me, "just leave we have enough latinos as it is," but you know what I won't. We are not our ancestors. We will stick together and fight the injustices this man and many other racists throw at us.

Trump's America will not be a racist one, not if I am still strong and fighting against it.