If You Haven't Worked Retail, You Don't Know Reality

If You Haven't Worked In Retail, You Have A False Sense Of Human Goodness

Not everyone is nice and sweet.

211
grocery store

I need to preface this by saying that I love my summer job. I work at a grocery store, and I genuinely like going to work and interacting with my coworkers and my customers. It's a fun job. In no way is this me complaining about my job or complaining about anything.

However, I will say that my job doesn't come without its trials and tribulations. And those trials and tribulations all revolve around one thing: angry people. I've found that the second money is involved, people get mean. People get rude and people get angry. People aren't always nice, especially when they're buying groceries.

I have had customers yell at me because their coupon doesn't work or because an item isn't on sale or because I'm checking their groceries too slow. I've had customers yell at other customers and customers be angry at my managers and just at my store in general. But I try to keep my best face and try to please every customer because that's what I do.

People who have never worked in retail don't understand how people react. They don't understand that people can be mean. People who haven't worked in retail often just say that kids aren't tough enough, or that things need to be a certain way. But people who haven't worked retail haven't had to put up with the same things that people who do work in retail have had to.

People are mean, but people who haven't worked in retail don't see that. They just see things their way and get mad when other people don't see them the same way. These people don't get what it's like to work retail. And they won't understand what it's like until they work it.

So please, the next time you come into a grocery store, or a clothing store, or any store for that matter, please be nice to us. I understand that your day can be crummy and you might be spending more money then you want to, but please, feel a little bad for us. We just want to be treated like people too.