10 Reasons You Should Start Working For Yourself As Soon As Possible
Health Wellness

10 Reasons You Should Start Working for Yourself As Soon As Possible

Having a boss can be pretty tough, but it's not a requirement to success.

1217
Photo by Filip Bunkens on Unsplash

If you're getting ready to graduate from college or you're just someone who likes to think ahead, you're probably starting to wonder what your future career will be. Trust me, we all wonder. But what you might not have thought of yet is the possibility of working for yourself.

There are so many great things about being your own boss that you probably haven't considered, so here's a list of the best ones:

1. You can do whatever you want.

Easily one of the best reasons to work for yourself is the fact that your job is entirely up to you. While this can be daunting for some people, those with motivation or passion find this to be a definite advantage. When it comes down to it, you just don't get this freedom when you're working for your boss.

2. You make your own hours.

This is a great perk because you can choose what hours you work during the day and how many hours you work each week. Some people who work for themselves have a ton of free time because they work three or four day work-weeks. Imagine having a 4 day weekend every week! Awesome, right?

3. You don't have to answer to anyone else.

One of the most annoying things about working for someone else is being micromanaged. If your boss is constantly asking you to change the way you do things or just asking too much of you in general, it might be time to quit your job and do your own thing. When you work for yourself, the only person you answer to is your customers.

4. You pay yourself!

Another great benefit of being your own boss is that you, and you alone, get the money out of the work. When you work for a company, you are only getting a small portion of the revenue generated from that company. But when you work for yourself, you get to choose how much of the profits you take for yourself and how much goes towards the business. It's entirely up to you!

5. You're independent.

Some people don't like to run their own business because of this, but working alone gives you quite a bit of independence. If you're an office person or you like having friends in your workspace, this probably isn't for you.

But if you do appreciate freedom when you work, being your own boss gives you countless opportunities to prove how good you are at your job! You get to prove it to your customers and the world all by yourself!

6. You can work from home!

If you're like me, you hate morning commutes, traffic, and sitting in a cubicle. Well, I've got some good news! You can avoid most of those things when you work for yourself! One of the greatest things about running your own business is that you can run it right out of the comfort of your home!

Of course, an office space is always an option if that's what you prefer.

7. You can design your business however you please.

If you work for someone else, especially someone with different preferences from you, it can be hard to follow along the business plan. You might not always agree with what your boss wants, but you don't have the option of stepping out of line or taking your own risks (because you could get fired). The best solution to this is to work for yourself. When you're the boss, YOU get to choose how the business runs. Nothing feels better than complete control, am I right?

8. You can take a long lunch break (or snack breaks).

If you don't already work for yourself, you probably know all about company lunch policies and how terrible they are. Sometimes lunch is cut short or you have to eat it right at your desk - ugh! But when you work for yourself, that's not the case anymore! You can take as many lunch breaks (or snack breaks) as you want/need when you're working on your own time. No one can tell you when to eat!

9. You can sell your skills and knowledge.

If the last one didn't convince you to quit your job, this one probably will. The coolest thing about working for yourself and gaining success from it is that you can sell your knowledge! People are always looking for advice on running their own business, and you can give it to them - for a price!

Whether you create an ebook with all of the tips and tricks you know, or you offer online advising sessions, people are willing to pay for what you know!

But be cautious - self-employed workers can only sell their knowledge if they really know what they're doing. So, maybe give it a couple years before you start putting your brain on the market.

10. You have so much creative leeway.

You should be walking out of your office by now. If you're not, you must really be content with where you are. No shame, I'm just stating the facts. We all have our personal preferences when it comes to working.

Speaking of, I prefer to use my creative skills when I am doing my work. Do you? Then you should probably become self-employed. Being your own boss means you can be as creative as you want with whatever you're developing, launching, advertising, or distributing. So, have at it!

There you have it - 10 reasons why you should work for yourself! If you ask me, they're pretty good reasons.

But in all seriousness, it's up to you. Not everyone likes the freedom of working for yourself. Some people prefer regimented schedules and strict office rules and that's perfectly okay. Whatever you decide, I hope you love it.