13 Things About Working at Summer Camp

13 Things About Working at Summer Camp

Life is great

649
13 Things About Working at Summer Camp
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/05/22/636626121958151881-225369233_IMG_9688.JPG

There are several movies, and tv shows about summer camps. As kids, you dream about what it would be like to go to one or be a counselor at one. I have the privilege of getting to be a counselor for two years at an amazing camp in north east Pennsylvania. Here's 13 things about working at a summer camp.

1. You will love the campers

If you enjoy working with kids, then this is the perfect summer job for you. The campers will love you and look up to you. You will have so much fun joining in on the activities with them and watching them grow and try new things.

2. Get used to being hot.

Bunks at most camps do not have air conditioning and it gets HOT. There may be fans, but they often don't do a whole lot, and the campers might not like them on at night when they are trying to sleep. Some buildings at camp may be air conditioned, but you won't be spending much of your time in them.

3. Friends from around the world.

Not only will you make amazing friends, but you will meet people from all around the world. Some of my closest friends at camp were from Canada, England, Ireland, Scotland, and Australia.

4. Seeing things you never thought you'd see.

Last summer, while working at camp, hamburgers fell from the sky, Spiderman, Deadpool, Iron Man and Captain America parachuted down to the field, and acrobats jumped over like ten people. This summer, I saw a private concert by Jake Miller!

5. You get paid to have fun.

Yes, it's a job, and the campers come first 100% of the time, but you get to have fun right along with them. When the campers are in the pool or the lake, you get to be too. You get to try the trapeze if your campers want to see you do it (and they usually want you to) and when you aren't working, there usually something going on. Staff nights were some of the best nights during the summer.

6. Days off

Going off of having fun, your days off can be some of the best days of the summer. You get to do whatever you want with those friends from around the world. Take them to a local amusement park or the mall. Skinners falls is the hot spot for many of the camps in the area. Staff love going here on their day off to relax on the rocks and cool off in the water.

7. You get to be silly.

Have you ever wanted to belt Let it Go at the top of your lungs, but felt like you would be laughed at for it. Well you can do that here and the kids will love it. The campers love silly counselors. Whether it's the staff talent show, or a lip sync battle or just daily life, you can show off your goofy side.

8. The view is amazing.

Camps are usually along a lake somewhere. Watching the sun rise/set over the lake is beautiful.

9. High school musical come true...

I know you all watched high school musical and thought to yourself, 'I wish it was acceptable to sing and dance on the cafeteria tables.' Well, in the dining hall, that's the norm. The challenge is finding time to eat your food in the midst of the dance party.

10. The camp wrist.

By the end of summer, your wrist will be filled with colors and designs in an array of bracelets. Some from your friends, some from campers, and some that you made. Weather it's for you, a camper, or a friend, you will always have string with you to make a bracelet.

11. Your colleagues are more like family.

You live with your colleagues for the summer. They become some of your best friends and some even become family. Either way the whole camp is one big happy family.

12. The memories

You will make so many memories, with so many people.

13. When it's not summer, you'll wish it was.

Life is great at camp, and when you aren't there, you want to be. The second the bus leaves, or you drive off camp, you're already thinking about the next summer.