10 Reasons You Should Also Work At A Summer Camp

6 Reasons You Should Also Work At A Summer Camp

Summer is full of some many amazing opportunities to make friends and make a difference in people's lives.

21

While Hollywood has a certain image of a camp counselor my experience taught me so much more than how to play fishy fishy or what time is it Mr. Fox. Working at a summer camp for two years taught me lessons about myself, my faith, and gave me my most treasured memories. It was the best two summers of my life. If you chose to work at a summer camp just know with all of the fun it is exhausting, but you will leave that summer full of love and the best memories.

1. You get to meet new people.

madi griifin person photo

Showing up on the first day for me was overwhelming, but the second I met my friend Kelsey I felt at home. She was so welcoming and allowed me to jump out of my comfort zone which in turn allowed me to work up the courage to talk to other people. The group of people that I got hang out with all week and the many friends I made over the two summers are my favorite people in this world. There is just something about people who come together for a specific goal that makes them all so willing to do the work, and best of all have the most fun.

2. You get to learn new games to take home.

https://giphy.com/gifs/tveditor-friends-the-one-with-football-3oz8xQt295uvDcl7Rm

I am not the best athlete. There is no getting around this point, so when I realized that camp required a multitude of games I flipped out. Good thing chicken baseball does not require any baseball expertise. These games are not only easy to learn, but they are fun. It made me feel good that I didn't have to be a varsity athlete to have fun plaything games.

3. Campfires are magical.

A campfire is one of the most amazing things on this planet. Constructing a fire takes a lot of work, but the work that it takes is seen in the rewards of smores. Sitting around a campfire singing songs with friends is one beautiful experience. Who does love to sing a c-a-m-p-f-i-r-e s-o-n-g song

4. Making dinner with new friends is always an adventure.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/6-04-2015/fmfnxY.gif

Cooking has always been a strength of mine, but that is not the case for all people. I was making dinner with a friend of mine at Grayson UMC and we almost melted a pot. Little did we know that we can not make pasta in a plastic bowl. Thanks to summer camp I now learned that plastic and fire do not mix. Cooking a meal with someone brings you closer and almost leaves room to eat some cookie dough along the way.

5. Stargazing brings people closer.

https://unsplash.com/photos/Q_RBVFFXR_g

Stargazing is some of my favorite things to do in the summer. The night is so crisp air and soft grass. The stars look so far away in the open sky above. This peaceful scene leads to some amazing worship. The guitar strumming among the sounds of nature makes me feel that God is right next to me. The nights we got to worship in the open fields were the most amazing nights of all.

6. Dancing in the rain is as fun as it looks on TV

https://www.flickr.com/photos/119908945@N07/27449063314/in/photolist-HPzCdj-5Z3t1i-WsGg1J-avm65k-6yE1Pj-WqrMFZ-D5JVu4-nFDEwv-dV2nAf-8Wytm3-5Rb5ae-j3kQXi-YqMN67-47ksT6-9zCuPi-s7cUV3-9qRDUz-9MFSem-fipqnA-DTJUY3-NgghQd-oHq1kK-kDyt9L-KmV5Z7-9kgPKd-jD9f1r-nq3kae-8mtC6M-292VykM-qxjugc-UZvoZx-oKx3yr-kqfWB6-2e9EoAa-RuVQh2-Vz6HeG-sphWo7-9UUMgT-biD2pg-KTaBLd-5BYPqF-XvhzC5-qCzxzK-nGqEh1-HKnvjp-5mJUdJ-2aD9BUy-zAvqVK-GGEdaw-rC5YDc

Summer camp means that rain showers are inevitable especially in the state of Georgia. So while a day at the pool may have been what you expected dancing in the rain is so much more fun. Whether it is with your best friend or your summer fling dancing in the rain allows you to let your guard down for a bit and just dance.