5 Words That Have Lost Their Meaning

5 Impactful Words That Have Lost Their Powerful Meanings

Think you know the meaning of these words? Think again.

199
Words

Words. They have a specific place within our lives, whether they be good or bad. They've been used to end wars and start revolutions. Words have also been used to craft Shakespearean sonnets and teenage fanfiction. Their definitions also change due to progressing times. But are these new definitions being used for the right reasons?

Oppression

Oppression is defined as the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner. Oppression has unfortunately been used to put down the people below them. Time and time again, history has proven that when tyranny strikes, the people will rise. But does it still ring true to this day? Not exactly. It turns out the oppression can apply to almost anything, from a game of dodgeball to a non-white person wearing an ethnic hairstyle.

Rape

Rape is defined as unlawful sexual intercourse or any other sexual penetration of the vagina, anus, or mouth of another person, with or without force, by a sex organ, other body parts, or foreign object, without the consent of the victim. To those who have gone through this horrific act, my condolences go out to you, so may heal. It's deplorable and sinister that some people will use this crime against humanity to stroke their ego and to ruin the life of the one they're accusing. If the accused is proven innocent, then that person will have a hard time adjusting back into a healthy life.

Sexism

Sexism is defined as discrimination or devaluation based on a person's sex or gender, as in restricted job opportunities, especially such discrimination directed against women. With the power of first and second wave feminism, women have gained the fundamental rights of an average human being. The right to own property, file for divorce, to work any job they want, and many other rights. There is, unfortunately, a small minority of women who believe that this discriminatory practice is still in practice. Some will even say that if you critique female characters that aren't well written, then you're accused of engaging in discriminatory practice instead of giving valid criticism.

Racism

Racism is defined as hatred or intolerance of another race or other races. This practice is unfortunately rooted in America's history, and we've done everything in our power to right this wrong. Like the last entry, there is a small minority that believes that since they have a minority status that they can't engage in this practice. It doesn't matter what your skin color is, you should not engage in thisdiscriminatory behavior.

Nazi

From what you have learned from your boring history class, a Nazi was a German male soldier that served for Adolf Hitler during World War II. They have engaged in one of the most disgusting acts of human atrocity, known as the Holocaust. The word has unfortunately become synonymous with a particular group of people who show nationalistic pride in our country, who are willing to help those in need. To the people who use this word frequently, you need to reevaluate your morals because the sharing of an unpopular opinion isn't equal to gassing someone in a chamber.

There are many more words where the definition had been skewed to fit individual agendas. The practice of cosmetic definition changes needs to come to an end because that's not how a language develops. A language doesn't develop because you feel the given definition doesn't suit your needs. You can change the given definition all you want, but a very well-known book known as the dictionary will always trump you.