Words That Mean Everything at Wake Forest And Nothing In Real Life

63

The language of Deacs. Not to be confused with DKEs. 

Instead of giving the freshmen lanyards, we should give them dictionaries. 

1. The Pit: It's not a lion's pit, the pit of hell (though it sometimes feels like it) or what you accidentally bite into inside a peach or plum -- it's our cafeteria. 

2. Last Resort: LR is a TV series, the name of many songs and a back-up plan when all else fails. But for us Wake students, it's just Thursday night. #STLR

3. LGW: It's not a misspelling of leg. It's an acronym for "let's get weird." Eventually, autocorrect will catch on. 

4. Heat: According to the dictionary, it's the state of a body perceived as having or generating a relatively high degree of warmth. I guess the water is pretty warm in a certain dark, crowded and flooded basement. 

5. DAM: A dam is a barrier that impounds water or underground streams. At Wake, DAM is an all-morning, chocolate-syrup-covered shit-show. 

6. Machi: A poor little uneducated freshman guy may think it's some kind of chip. In reality, it's pronounced "ma-chee" and short for Sigma Chi. 

7. Gov Docs: A place in the library where students come to half study and half eat a salad/gossip sort of loudly. On the 4th floor. 

8. Posties: Not post-its. A week of debauchery in Dirty Myrtle, SC.

9. Croaks/Crolo: Sounds like the noises a frog makes. Abbreviations for the off-campus apartment complexes Crowne Oaks and Crowne Polo. 

10. Pledge Drivers: Mom, I promise, it's the only time it's 100% safe and acceptable to get into a stranger's car!

11. ABC: The DMV of liquor stores. AKA where we buy our booze. 

12. Senior Fifth: Merry fifthmas to all, and to all a good...night.

13. Chucks: These are not the chucks of your middle-school angst days. These are sorority chucks. 

14. SWUGs: Self-declared, senior washed up girls. "I didn't choose the swuglife, the swug life chose me."

15. O-Week: The best way to welcome back Wake and remind yourself why you love being a Demon Deacon. T-minus 1 month, my friends.