A Word of Advice for High School Seniors

18

For high school seniors, when December rolls around also comes stress and anxiety. It is a time where colleges slowly start releasing their early decision and early action decisions, so naturally the stress levels are high. As someone who has been through this process already, and did not get into my first choice right away, there are a few things you should keep in mind.

1. It all works out

This is so much easier said than done, which I can personally relate to. I have wanted to go to Michigan my whole life, however, I got deferred when early action decisions were released. To say I was devastated is an understatement, so I definitely understand how you feel if you didn’t get into your first choice, however, I waited it out and finally got in, and it was definitely worth it. So just try and remember everything works out how it is supposed to.

2. Be happy for your friends

This is the most important thing to remember when college decisions come out. Be happy for everyone. Go to your friends’ house, bring them cupcakes, buy them candy or a shirt. Do anything you can to make them feel happy because when it is your turn you want everyone to do the same. Even if someone got into a school that you didn’t, still put a smile on your face and congratulate them because you know they would do the same for you.

3. Be patient

The college admissions process is a long and hard process to say the least. Just remember to be patient. I didn’t commit to college until the beginning of March, and at that point almost my entire friend group knew where they were going. Of course, I was antsy and wanted to know where I was going, but I waited and could not be happier.

4. Enjoy being in high school while you can

Coming from a college student who is in the midst of studying for finals, I think it is so important to enjoy high school while you can. The work isn’t that hard, the hours aren’t that bad, and at this point, it is almost second semester. Enjoy the lack of responsibility and work now, because it is an opportunity that you will never have again.

I know, the college process is just an endless amount of stress and anxiety, however, just remember that it is worth it. Hopefully at this time next year you will be enjoying what is going to be the best four years of your life, so let that push you through this stressful time.