Could #MeToo Impact The Feminist Movement?

Demand more from society. Demand your voice be heard. Demand a seat at the table.

518
Could #MeToo  Impact The Feminist Movement?
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_HJPgra5Xf.jpeg

In recent headlines women have been coming forward and exposing many famous men for sexual misconduct. Before the brave women came forward they were rallying together for many different things all focused on the feminist movement. How did the feminist movement empower these women to come forward against such high powered men? And how can the #MeToo movement ultimately impact the feminist movement from the perspective of a young girl trying to find a seat at the table one day. 

The first Women’s Conference held in 1848 in Seneca Falls, NY marked the beginning of organized feminism. The key leaders of the conference who are known for their fight in the feminist movement are Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Lucretia Mott. Of the one-hundred people attending the convention, two-thirds were women. The feminist movement is a multitude of political campaigns for reform on issues affecting women. Such issues include but are not limited to, reproductive rights, domestic violence, maternity leave, equal pay, women’s suffrage, sexual harassment, and sexual violence. The feminist movement has evolved a bit from history in that reform was addressing social and institutional issues that struck at women’s rights such as voting rights, education, and economic opportunities. One fight that is still be fought today is the absence of a voice in politics.

The feminist movement has empowered women for many years to fight for rights and equality. March 8th is International Women’s Day. Its also the day in 2017, that women stood up against the now sitting United States President, Donald J. Trump. Donald Trump made statements during his campaign that were outrageous and offensive to women. Donald Trump is quoted from an Access Hollywood tape saying, “You Know, I’m automatically attracted to beautiful—I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star, they let you do it. You can do anything… Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.” Many women, such as myself, were outraged at Donald Trump’s attitude towards women. There are at least 13 allegations of sexual assault against Donald Trump.  

When women are being put down and objectified in a sexual manner by the President of the United States, it was only a matter of time for women to rise up. Many other women began to come forward about other allegations for high powered men. American film producer, Harvey Weinstein, managed to have at least 30 women accuse him of sexual assault. Republican Senate candidate for the state of Alabama, Roy Moore, had 9 women accuse him of sexual assault. In the recently accused media frenzy with Today Show Host, Matt Lauer, a sex toy was sent to one of his coworkers. Matt Lauer also has multiple other allegations against him. These women are courageous to come forward. 

Only one question I have for many of these ladies coming forward is why now and not when the assault occurred? I understand that the feminist movement is more empowering than ever. We just had a woman run for president, Hillary Clinton. She may have lost, but she inspired young girls everywhere that its possible to be president and make it to the general election. It was especially empowering to them when previous U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton ran giving a major speech on breaking the glass ceiling. Women everyday are fighting and gaining the seat at the table that they rightfully deserve. While all of this empowerment is gratifying, the evidence in a case of sexual assault is often circumstantial. The evidence needed to prove the assault occurred ranges from witness testimony to photographs, video, and any media sent from a phone that links the accused with the accuser. Many news outlets have called Harvey Weinstein's assaults the unkept secret in Hollywood, and an open secret. The assaults are called this because those in Hollywood knew of Weinstein's actions and yet they took so long to speak up. Moving on to the accusations against Republican Senate candidate, Roy Moore. The girls speaking up were assaulted when they were teenagers and are now grown women. Why wait until now to say something?   

Leading the charge of women coming forward against sexual assault is Alyssa Milano and Tarana Burke. Tarana Burke is the creator of the nonprofit, Just Be Inc. The nonprofit was created to help those who fell victim to sexual harassment and sexual assault. Tarana Burke began using the hashtag #metoo to allow those without a voice to go on a social media platform and share their story without fear. Actress Alyssa Milano promoted the hashtag and the #metoo movement began. Alyssa Milano tweeted:  

According to the Associated Press, the hashtag has been used on social media platforms such as Twitter, Facebook, and Snapchat as well as others. Facebook alone has seen the hashtag used in 12 million posts and reactions within the first 24 hours. 

The hashtag may have given women a voice and there are many platforms for them to take advantage of, but what about the women that want a seat at the table? Will my voice be squashed as men begin to fear working with women. Or will women gain a seat at the table in pity of the difficulties they have gone through. If I were a man in today’s society I would fear working with a woman in that she may accuse me of assaulting her. Garrison Keillor, from the Minnesota Public Radio was fired for touching a woman’s bare back. Upon touching her back, Garrison Keillor realized her shirt was open backed and what he had done was wrong. Keillor apologized and believed everything was fine until her lawyer called. Garrison Keillor also broke the story first so as to admit to what happened and not be accused of anything that did not happen. Marilyn Manson is quoted by multiple news sources in response to the #MeToo, “That’s not to disrespect those people that are saying the allegations. I just think that if you have something to say, you should say it to the police, not to the press and handle it that way first and foremost. That’s what I would do.” Manson spoke of a point that many won't or are afraid to. Lives are being ruined because of the press when the police should be handling the case. 

To say women are not guilty of sexual assault would be a lie. Yet in the news, I only hear of men assaulting women. When is society going to demand that we need to respect everyone? I hear women say, “Men need to learn to stop using locker room chat.” Then I demand that women learn to respect our bodies again so men don’t objectify the body as a sex object from the Marilyn Monroe days. When the feminist movement began they protested in peaceful protests with their clothes on. Today women protest with their boobs out. Its not just women that need 3 ft of space, but men need it too. Roy Moore was the first Republican Candidate to lose a Senate election in Alabama in ... years. Did Moore deserve to lose to the first Democratic senator for Alabama when many of the accusations are of dates and nothing more than a kiss? Then, there is the problem with defining sexual assault. One woman who recently aired on Megyn Kelly, accused trump of sexually harassing her because he looked her up and down. Do we call that sexual assault? I don't know, but I do know that everyone has a different definition of sexual assault. 

Demand more from society. Demand your voice be heard.