20 Women Who Paved The Way For Us To Have A Black, Indian, Female Vice President

The Future is Female

40

Kamala Harris will be the first female, Black and Indian Vice President in United States history when her and President-elect Joe Biden are inaugurated in January 2021. This is a move that many feminists and other social justice focused interest groups are proud of. Little girls everywhere will be able to see a world leader that looks just like them.

However, with this historic and monumental point in our history, it is important to highlight other trailblazers throughout history that made it so that a Black, Indian, female Vice President was possible.

1. Sojourner Truth

Her famous "Ain't I a Woman" speech is performed by Kerry Washington and highlights Sojourner Truth's efforts in the fight for civil rights in this country.

2. Malala Yousafzai

Malala is a champion for equal educational opportunities.

3. Coretta Scott King

Coretta was the wife of Martin Luther King Jr. She championed his fight for civil rights alongside her husband and after his death.

4. Laverne Cox

Laverne Cox broke onto our televisions screens and into our hearts in her role in the famous Netflix series, "Orange is the New Black." Laverne Cox stands up for civil rights as well as LGBTQ+ rights as a proud trans woman.

5. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Chimamanda is a champion for equal opportunity for women and often gives powerful and moving speeches such as this one. She has multiple pieces published.

6. Rosa Parks

Rosa Parks is one of the earliest civil rights activists. She refused to give up her seat on a bus for a white man during the time of segregation.

7. Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama was the first African American first lady and still speaks up for social justice issues.

8. Angela Davis

Angela Davis fought for criminal justice reform in 1970 and still fights for criminal justice reform today.

9. Dr. Ruth J Simmons

Dr. Ruth J. Simmons served as the first female African American president of an Ivy League institution by serving as President of Brown University.

10. Dr. Mae Jemison

A champion for women of color in space, she was the first female African American astronaut.

11. Susan Rice

Susan Rice is a champion for human rights and served as the United States ambassador for the United Nations.

12. Fannie Lou Hamer

Fannie Lou Hamer fought for civil rights and for police reform and lived her life with a blood clot in her eye from being beaten so badly by police officers.

13. Misty Copeland

She is a well-known ballerina and trailblazes the way for other women of color in ballet.

14. Nina Simone

This singer fought for civil rights throughout her long lasting career.

15. Ida B. Wells

She lived a life of courage as she broke stories about racial injustices through her time as a journalist.

16. Shirley Chisholm

Shirley Chisholm was the first black woman elected to Congress.

17. Carol Moseley Braun

The first Black woman to serve in the United States Senate who paved the way for Kamala Harris to also be in the senate.

18. Shirley Franklin

Shirley Franklin was the first Black female mayor of Georgia paving the way for women in politics.

19. Loretta Lynch

The former attorney general still fights for criminal justice reform as well as civil rights.

20. Gloria Steinem

Gloria Steinem has always used her fame for good, such as this speech in the 1970s, and is known as the world's most famous feminist.