Women In Music Are More Than Just Looks

Women In Music Are More Than Just Your Thirst Comments

More people listen to Cardi B than Joyner Lucas, not because Cardi's content is better, but because she has a crazy personality.

62
Syn City

I've said it once, I'll say it a million times, music is one of the greatest things that we as humans have available to us. It provides an escape, a window into a different world, or just the opportunity to go wild with your friends. In recent years, however, music has stopped being about the substance of the lyrics being sung, and more about the persona of the artist. For reasons unknown, more people listen to Cardi B than Joyner Lucas, not because Cardi's content is better, but because she has a crazy personality. And that's what music has been reduced to. Women in music are judged now by how big their butts are and how scandalous they can be.

During an interview with my friend Platinum, he introduced me to another artist named Syn City. Hailing from New Orleans, she is far more than just something for people to look at. She is a published author, as well as a musician. And she is by far one of the most intelligent people I've ever been able to interview.

Q: Do you find it hard to find balance with all the things you're doing?

A: It's not hard to balance, I know who I am. I wake up trying to utilize my talents. I'm just doing it.

Q: Do you look to Cardi B and Nicki Minaj as people who paved a path?

A: They were puppets, I don't like Cardi's music, I wouldn't compare myself to them. No hate, but where my mind's at, we're on different levels.

Q: Can you tell me a little about your books?

A: I have three books: "Welcome to the City" is an autobiography, "The City Chronicles" is a series. It's a fictional city based on New Orleans. I put it in a way that people could understand and find funny.

Q: Where do you see your career path going?

A: I think I'm going to be major, I know who I am. That's what sets me apart from other people. I know why I'm here. Everything I've stepped into, I've excelled at it. I didn't wake up one day, I've been doing this since I was 4.

Q: What would you like someone who isn't familiar with your work to know about you?

A: Syn City is a prefix for together, so my name means "the people of the city". My music is good for all genres, all races, and nationalities. I want to give people hope and bring people together.

So, let's have an honest conversation for a second. Music artists have been overly sexualized for decades now. While some of this is by their own choice to gain popularity, we, the general population, aren't helping either. I was in my school dining center last week, and I heard someone say that they liked Cardi B because "she looks better naked than Nicki Minaj". Syn City is an example of how female artists are so much more than looks and have so many talents that should be celebrated. It shouldn't take a 20-year-old on the internet for you to realize that, but if this article makes you think about the issue than I've done my job!