College Freshman Advice

10 Things I Wish I had Known My Freshman Year

You're honestly going to be overthinking EVERYTHING.

393

This past August, I started my first year of college.

I didn't do concurrent classes through my high school like all my other friends, so this was a big change for me. My graduating class had 56 students, and I was entering a class with more than 4,000, so I was definitely out of my element when I first started.

My high school hadn't really prepared me on how to be a college student, so most of my first semester was me trying to figure out how to do just that. There were several times that I wish someone would have just told me what I needed to do and what to worry about or what not to worry about. Over the course of my first year in college, I gained more of a grasp of how to be a college student through trial and error.

Here are some important things I learned my freshman year:

1. It's OK to not get the same type of grades you got in high school

College is so much harder than high school, or at least harder than mine, and it takes some adjusting to get to where you want to be. Don't stress if you feel like you're taking longer than your friends/peers to get in the groove of things.

2. You're not going to have time to talk to your best friend back home every day

My best friend and I talked EVERY DAY when I was at home, but trying to find a good balance between school and back-home friendship was a real struggle for me. Although it was difficult, it has made me truly appreciate our friendship even more.

3. If it's not a requirement, don't dress up for class

I mean, you can if you want to, that's totally your choice, but it's not necessary. No one cares if you just rolled out of bed and went straight to class because odds are, so did the person next to you.

4. GO TO CLASS

This one shouldn't even have to be mentioned but talking yourself out of going to class takes about .02 seconds. I can't tell you how many times I had the "Do I really need to go to class?" talk, and I always made the wrong decision.

5. But it's OK to take the occasional "Me" day

If your stress level is high, it's OK to take a day to do some face masks or even binge watch some Netflix/Hulu, just don't do it every single day and forget to do your work!

6. No one cares that you're a freshman

This one sounds a little strange, but you may feel like people are watching you more since you're new. Most people aren't going to care about what you're doing at all, as long as you stay out of their way!

7. If your professor has weekly study sessions, GO

I can't tell you how much I regretted not going to my bio study sessions my first semester! It's FREE help ya'll!

8. It's OK to talk to your professors

My first semester, I was too afraid to go up and talk wiht my professors, but once I got over it, it was honestly the best thing for my grade!

9. Things will seem impossible

You honestly have to be your own biggest fan to get through a lot of things. Reward yourself after small tasks! I know it sounds dumb, but it really does help you meet more goals.

10. At the end of the day, it's all about what makes YOU Happy

Not your parents, not your friends, not your family, just you. It's OK to get to college and change your mind about what you want to do; that's totally normal! Just do what makes you happy.