Wise Words from Hamilton

Wise Words from Hamilton

It can be tough getting through this last stretch of school before summer, sometimes we just need a little advice to make it easier.

15
Wise Words from Hamilton
Theo Wargo | Getty Images

With the month of April upon us, everyone is probably starting to feel the April blues. For college students deadlines just continue to pile up and come closer as the academic year is finally beginning to draw to a close. And then comes the feeling that summer will just never arrive at all (especially if you are in an area with fickle weather that refuses to admit its supposed to be Spring by now). Basically, April is its own particular brand of hell. Yet people have managed to get through this month time and time again, granted some more gracefully than others. So who is better to help us through this month than Alexander Hamilton, one of America's founding fathers.

1. Smile.

I know its incredibly cheesy, but it really does help to just smile a little. Especially when the stress is getting you down, taking just one minute to goofily smile at pictures of cute kittens or puppies is the first step towards making a stressful day better (or you could just listen to Hamilton soundtrack again, whatever floats your boat).

2. Keep at it.

Sadly, the only way that I know of to get your work actually done is to just sit down and do it even if it seems like you have to work non-stop to get it done. I don't think there is anyone who has managed to find a way around this (if you have please share, the world will be forever in you debt). Hey, maybe you can at least become as fabulous as the Schuyler Sisters while your at it.

3. Take a break.

Now this is a really important step when it comes to your overall mental heath. Running yourself into the ground may get the job done now but it will wear you down for the future so make sure you take the time now to take care of yourself. After all, if Hamilton took his wife's advice, his life might have been much easier.

4. But not too much of one.

Because that would lead to the very familiar territory of procrastination. I know that we have all mastered this skill to an impressive degree by now but sometimes its better to just say no. I know its hard but we have to get our work done eventually and putting it off will just make it harder in the end.

5. Most importantly: Try to have some fun.

I cannot stress this enough. Yes we are in school where we have various classes and responsibilities, but that doesn't mean our life will be put on hold so we can take care of it all. So take the time to hang out with friends or even make an effort to make new friends. In the end, we have to make sure that we are still living while getting an education.

Bonus:

I find that it can be very therapeutic to burn or rip apart the essays that gave you a major headache once the year is over.