5 Things You're Told By Your Doctor About Wisdom Teeth Surgery

Thank goodness I only have to go through this once in my life!

98
Michael Browning

Over the years, I have heard many of my friends talk about getting their wisdom teeth out along with their stories. When I told people that I was getting all four wisdom teeth out, I heard many different stories and things to do to help relieve the pain and swelling that the surgery leaves. Well, I had my surgery and sure enough, I was swollen like a chipmunk and lived on jello for a few days!

However, there were parts of the wisdom teeth experience that I was told that didn't quite fit what I had actually experienced! Everyone has a different experience when it comes to getting their wisdom teeth removed, however, I have decided to put out what I experienced and different amenities that helped get me through the pain!

1. "Acting absolutely loopy after surgery and saying things that you don't remember"

Personally, I just remember waking up and getting in a wheelchair, and going home only to pass out for an hour! It is very easy to find videos of people post surgery saying absolutely outrageous stuff! Honestly, I was kind of waiting to see if I said anything but for me, this didn't happen!

2. "You will bruise and swell A LOT!"

My own doctor warned me about this, and he gave me the medicine to help combat this downfall part of the surgery. I definitely smelled like a chipmunk but I didn't bruise. Thank goodness!

3. "There will be a LOT of blood . . ."

This is definitely no lie, and in fact, it is very gross. Especially, in the first few days but that is why you should have plenty of gauze pads! Woohoo, so much fun! Someone told me to use tea bags, and that this helps heal the wounds. I used the tea bags and they did work very well!

4. "You will be eating mushy foods for a few days!"

This was definitely the worst part of the whole experience. Not being able to eat normal, and eating the same foods for a few days can make for a rough few days on the stomach. However, with all the heavy painkillers it is very important to have food in your stomach to digest the medicine. So, enjoy all of the potatoes, noodles, soups, jellos, puddings, and ice cream for a few days!

5. "No physical activity for five days"

This is a true statement as you will not want to have any significant movement for a few days because your face will be swollen and your breathing will sound like Darth Vader is in the room! I had another obstacle and that was I got horribly sick the day before my surgery! So, while I was recovering from my surgery I was also trying to get over the horrible head cold I had! So, working out became obsolete as soon as I got the surgery.

All in all, wisdom teeth surgery is something that will be an experience that almost all of us will experience. However, it will be unique to all of us! All I got to say is that you will be happy to eat (normally) after it is all over!