Will Gun Control Help the United States?
Politics

Why gun control is not what our country needs at this time.

11
The Federalist- Sean Davis

In this time when tragedy strikes, and we are in the middle of a great presidential campaign; senses are heightened. We, as Americans- voting citizens, become passionate about each topic of concern. One of the major ones being gun control laws. While it was hidden behind the scenes in the beginning of the campaign; I feel that this may become more of a concern for Anericans in the light of the tragedies that happened in Orlando this week. More and more citizens will be asking themselves: what presidential candidate has the best policies on gun control? What kind of gun control do we need, and want in these times? I have been wondering these questions myself.

Here's my thoughts:

Gun control, completely wiping away our second amendment, would be absurd, unfair, and unjust. Guns do not kill people. Bad people kill other people.

Unfortunately, like everything else in this world, we associate anti gun control advocates with a stigma. Anti gun control advocates are not only rednecks, hilbilies, hicks, hunters, and men. Anti gun control advocates are people who are responsible, law abiding citizens; trying to make our world a better-safer, place. What people fail to realize is anti gun control advocates are not trying to take away protocalls that people have to go through to obtain a gun. Infact most anti gun control advocates are for more background checks and psychological tests to test mental illness. These people who want to keep guns in our world are people who will eventually safe someone, or a thousand of people one day.

Owning a gun is our right. Conceal and carry is only legal in certain states as of now, but if more good people were to own guns do you think as many bad people would try to carry out such agressive attacks? How do you think the outcome would be if someone was concealing a legal weapon when the attacker in Pulse started shooting. It takes on average six minutes for police to arrive to a call, and only seconds for someone to shoot a gun. How would you feel if you were protected by your own gun? How would you feel knowing thousanads of people around the world were secretley protecting the public by carrying their legally obtained weapon with them. We are not talking assult riffles being causually flaunted through NYC, but small hand guns secretley hidden in the back pockets, and coat jackets of people who went through the right protocols to have a weapon, so bad people can not hurt us.

On my last few thoughts here I would like to say that people who do bad things do not and will not care about the law. Most of the guns used in mass shootings, and other crimes are not obtained legally. Especially if they are already under FBI investigation. Just like anything else you can get things through the black market. My point here is less mass shootings will occur if those bad people new there were more good people surrounding them. Don't you want to feel safer in today's world?

"Human history is not the battle of good struggling to overcome evil. It is a battle fought by a great evil struggling to crush a small kernel of human kindness." -Vasily Grossman