Wild Guesses To Comparative and Evolutionary Psychology - Just Amateur Ideas

In this article, I want to write about amateur ideas about the material I am learning in Comparative Psychology. More specifically, ideas about evolution and the variables that could play a role. No empirical research was done.

9
Photo by David Clode on Unsplash

I would like to inform everyone that the ideas suggested behind this topic are not facts and there is no science behind it.

In fact, this is just for entertainment purposes because I have not studied the topic in depth. In fact, my field of interest is focused on psychology in which I plan to be a practitioner and not being a producer of research. Instead, I will consume research and utilize it to improve my approach towards helping future clients.

As we all may know, Earth is filled with a delicate balance between competition and collaboration. As life got started on Earth, I think it developed through many different parts that had the right climate to sustain life. Life must have started with microscopic lifeforms. I am honestly not sure of this, but I think certain through symbiosis lifeforms started to compete and/or collaborate depending on their survival and wanting territory. It was a slow process for plants to start, but certain species evolved together and combined to form an individual or a bigger complex system of working-together microbes, and others divided to form different species of plants that are adapted to certain areas.

I do not know enough about genetics, but I would think there is a lot of similar genetics between different species. In fact, sometimes species like animals and plants depend on bacteria through symbiosis. One possible variable contributing to the evolution of carnivores is the lack of plants to eat in a given area. Depending on the situation, animals who become less adapted to eat grass before others, struggle. The struggle may lead to deciding to eat bugs instead of plants, or slowly evolve into carnivores through the cannibalism of their very own previous species. This could result in a change in the genetics and those previous herbivores could adapt as carnivores through divergent evolution trying to survive because they do not have enough plants to consume. As a result, there will be more plants to go around because carnivores maintain the balance. In other words, there could be gene similarities between the herbivores and their native carnivore.

On the other hand, certain species like Kangaroos tend to have a culture of game theory, where the males compete to gain access to all the females and spread their genes. How does game theory occur? My hypothesis is that we would have to study Kangaroos like we study sociology, so they would have to be studied in groups. I think the kangaroos might have a culture. For instance, if one was to place several baby kangaroos in a laboratory, would they have a clue about the game theory and competing to have access to all the females? Or would the mother need to be there to explain that culture? If they do have a culture, is it formed through the ecosystem or lack of predation or some predation that would explain their evolution?

As I said, these are all questions I am asking even though I am not involved in the research. In other words, I am just barely putting my toes in the water. To be honest, I find it fun and creative. However, my goal is to become a clinical mental health counselor; I am not a biologist or an expert in that form of research. I have not studied the topic in-depth to be familiar with it, but I really enjoy learning and coming up with possibilities.