Why You Should Stop Saying "I Know How You Feel"

Because We All Just Need to Vent.

649
rawpixel.com

How many times have you told someone you know how they feel? You've also probably been on the receiving side of this phrase.

In all honesty, I hate this phrase with a deep passion. I feel like Ann Perkins when she complains about Chris's kindness.

Whether I've had a bad day, or week chances are I just want to vent about it and I think most people are the same way. I don't want you to solve my problems. I don't want you to tell me to stay positive and I definitely don't want you to tell me that you "know how I feel."

The truth is, someone can empathize and sympathize with whatever you are going through but they'll never know how you feel. The phrase that is intended to help is a lie and it infuriates me!

Depending on the seriousness of the problem, a friend telling you they know how you feel could feel like they a diminishing whatever is bothering you. Even with the best of intentions, it can feel like you're not being heard.

So next time your best friend had a horrible day and she came to you to vent about how she failed her test, she's had a fight with her mom, and her personal life just went up in flames. Don't tell her that "you know how" she feels.

You can be the most empathetic person in the world and you will never know how someone else feels.

Instead, channel your inner Chris Traeger and say: