7 Reasons You Should Join Odyssey MSU This School Year

Do or do not. There is no try.

14

"Writing for Odyssey is a wonderful experience. You should do it." Yes, this is true. However, their one thing missing, the "Why" factor. Why is writing for Odyssey a wonderful experience? Why should you do it? Well, I'll tell you.

1. It is a resume builder.

Most college students are looking for another line for their resume. Odyssey is a great place to start.

However, Odyssey is so much more than another line on my resume. What if somebody like a job recruiter or a hiring manager were to read that you spent time writing for a nationally famous writing platform? That would be awesome, it's as plain and simple as that.

2. The people are awesome.

Personally, I have met some awesome people in writing for Odyssey. These people include the writers on my team, the other Editors and people who work at Headquarters.

Every Odyssey Community (usually organized by school), has a GroupMe or some sort of communication tool. In my Community's GroupMe, we talk about how our days went, our favorite movies, the worst date we have ever been on, and so much more. Odyssey is a great place to make new friends!

3. It provides wonderful Networking opportunities.

Being a Creator on Odyssey allows Creators (the writers) chances to connect with professionals in journalism and marketing, as well as networking with other writers across the nation.

Plus, Odyssey is a great way to get those LinkedIn connections!

4. Odyssey adds content to a portfolio.

If you are in any kind of artistic major (journalism, fashion, photography, interior design, etc.), you will need a portfolio before applying for jobs in the real world.

Odyssey provides an opportunity to anyone who is trying to strengthen their writing portfolio.

5. Writing shows future employers that you are capable of meeting deadlines.

No matter what your major is, what kind of job you have, even just as a student, you are required to meet deadlines.

Odyssey has a weekly deadline to submit articles. By writing for Odyssey you are showing employers that you are capable of meeting deadlines and working with deadlines. This sounds easy, but like most things in life, it is easier said than done. Plus, future employers always want proof that what you say is true. Odyssey shows that its writers can work under deadlines.

6. It is a creative outlet.

Studies show that having a creative outlet is essential. Creative outlets make people smarter and mentally healthier.

Odyssey provides Creators with a 24/7 creative outlet. So if you're ever stressed, need a distraction, Odyssey is always there waiting for your next article.

7. It is fun!

Last, but certainly not least Odyssey is a lot of fun! It is fun to be able to write about topics of your choice (as long as they are legal), interact with people across the country, chat in GroupMes about which Hogwarts house you are and so much more. Odyssey has allowed me to form beautiful friendships and have lots of social events to look forward to.

No matter what your major is, Odyssey is a great opportunity. Odyssey will provide you with a fun and creative way to get published content on the Internet. So go ahead and apply to be a Creator. Even get your friends to apply with you! Writing with friends is always more fun than writing alone! Go for it. You will not regret it. I know I sure haven't.