Why You Should Have Your Own Opinion

Why You Should Have Your Own Opinion

And why someone with a different opinion is not the enemy.

2627
Why You Should Have Your Own Opinion

Everyone has their own stance on myriad topics, from mac and cheese, to Donald Trump, to feminism and beyond. As a young adult, it’s important to develop your own voice about these topics. Seriously, what do you think about abortion and Planned Parenthood? What about gun violence?

You, yes you, have a right as a voting citizen of the United States to have an opinion on the hot topics and issues that are plaguing our society. You, my friend, are an individual person who deserves to have a voice. Figure out what kind of music you like, where you stand on political issues, and how you like your food -- despite what your family members and friends say.

Yes, form your own decision in spite of them. Just last week, I had my own mother tell me that I’m not a feminist, because feminists are crazy man-haters (untrue!). Stand for what you believe in
because people are not going to see it like you do.

Yes, have your own opinion, but do not shove it down the throats of others. We need to be able to stand up for ourselves -- at the same time, that doesn’t mean tearing down others. We have to understand that each and every one of us is beautiful and unique, and that that is going to lead to differences. These differences in opinion are what is going to make us stronger.

This empowers us not only as individuals, but as a society. We need to learn to have an opinion and tolerate others that have a different one. The way we grow is by working alongside people who we don’t necessarily get along with, and the citizens in our society need to grow up and learn that. We are not going to perfectly conform together. That is the beauty and the downfall of humanity, because we can’t seem to accept that we are not going to all believe in the same things.

This argument is actually quite absurd and rather hysterical, to be honest. I believe that it is time that we, as millennials, grow a backbone and take a stand for what we believe in. We shouldn’t have other people telling us what we should or should not think. If you are pro-life, anti-Second Amendment, and super-Democratic, then you do you. Because who in this world should be able to tell you otherwise? That said, however, don’t go shooting down the Republican who’s pro-choice and believes in feminism because doing that to another person is the most hypocritical thing I can think of. You stand for your own opinion and then tear down someone else’s? Seriously?

Stand for what you believe in, but think before you speak. Just because I believe differently doesn’t mean I’m any better or worse than you.