8 Reasons You Should Be Embracing Hygge In College

College is stressful, why not take a little time to slow down and appreciate the little things?

687
Reader's Digest

College is an amazing time in a person's life, but it is definitely stressful. As college students, we don't always take the time to relax and take time for ourselves. Between classes, homework, studying, and repeating the cycle almost everyday, we may not have the time. We have to make the time for ourselves. The Danish have come up with a way to make a busy life cozier and less stressful. It's called hygge (hue-gah or hoo-ga). Hygge is all about creating warm connections, being appreciative, and creating a cozy atmosphere.

1. Turn off the Screen

One important aspect of hygge is detaching from technology and spending more time in the moment and with the people around you.

2. Warm Up the Lighting

The Danish use candles and warmly lit lamps. For college students living in dorms, candles are not a possibility. You may also understand the headaches caused by the florescent lights. Instead of those annoyingly bright lights, use warm white string lights and or a warm white lamp to give a warm, cozy glow to the dorm room. Even though they are dimmer, you can still do your homework, study, and spend time with your friends.

3. Food and Drink

Hygge is all about being cozy and honestly, treating yourself to a little indulgence. Don't be afraid to have your cake and eat it too (literally!). Cake, pie, and cinnamon rolls are very hyggeligt (cozy) foods! Don't just go out and buy a premade slice of cake or pie, invite some friends over and make a night of baking together. Don't be afraid to get your hands a little dirty. Plus, the delicious smells of those yummy pastries automatically create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. While you're waiting for those delightful sweets to finish up, make up some yummy hot chocolate, hot tea, warm cider, or coffee. If you are making dinner stew is always a good option too! Shepherd's Pie is my personal favorite hygge food!

4. Hygge Décor

We've already talked about hygge lighting, now lets talk about decorating hygge. Everyone needs a "hyggekrog" which basically translates to "a nook". Create a cozy place to curl up with a blanket and just relax. Bring Nature inside. Go buy some flowers from your local store. Decorate with faux sheepskin to give your spac texture and an extra layer of coziness. You can't forget about books! Books are not only one of the most hygge things to do, but you can also study in your hyggekrog. Since hot drinks are a big part of hygge life, incorporate ceramics into your little spaces. And last but not least, blankets and cushions. Hygge is all about coziness after all. What could possibly be more cozy than crawling into your cushiony hyggekrog after a long day of classes with a fuzzy blanket, a warm cup of cocoa, and a good book? Of course, curling up to your favorite movie or t.v. show is always an option as well!

5. Clothes

The Danes are all about going casual, yet cozy. Wool or fuzzy socks, chunky sweaters, or whatever you feel happiest in. Make yourself happy and comfortable!

6. Hygge Outside of Your Place

Although you can get your hygge on at home alone, hygge is about making connections with those you love and being there in the moment. Nature is also important in hygge. Hiking, walking through the gardens at your college, studying in a quad under a tree, or having a picnic with your friends. The possibilities are endless and they don't have to be expensive. Just get out and breathe in some fresh air. After all, not only does it connect you to your loved ones and your surroundings, but it is scientifically proven to improve your mental health which is a major struggle for many college students.

7. Hygge Can Help You Save Money

As a college student, I get the struggle. Most of us go to school full time, and work part time. We see our friends going out to do stuff and we get invited only to decline the invitation because we are broke AF. Hygge doesn't require much money, despite what you may think. It's free to invite your friends over to have a movie night, go outside for a hike or a picnic, or just to sit down and read. Simplicity is the key to hygge, and to enjoying the things that matter most.

8. Hygge Resources

I first learned about Hygge on Facebook. What I found is that the more I learned about it, the more I loved it. I started to venture outside for hikes more often, spend time with the people I care about, and taking time out of the hustle and bustle of college life to just relax a little more. If you want to learn more about hygge good resources are: "The Little Book of Hygge: Danish Secrets to Happy Living" By Meik Wiking who is the CEO of the Happiness Research Institue in Copenhagen, "Hygge: The Danish Art of Happiness" By: Marie Tourell Søderberg, and "The Cozy Life: Rediscover the Joy of the Simple Things Through the Danish Concept of Hygge" By: Pia Edberg