Why You Need To Take Time Out For Yourself

Why You Need To Relax

20

College students are often spread too thin. Whether it’s working multiple jobs, working an internship, classes and maintaining friendships and a vital social life, it’s safe to say there’s a lot on a college student’s plate. And, without a doubt, it can make a student overwhelmed.

However, there’s something that was missing from my list. And that is self-care, and taking proper care of yourself. And often, when there’s a list a mile long of things you need to accomplish, that’s often the last thing on your mind.

But, it really shouldn’t be.

I've noticed a trend among my peers throughout my classes this past semester. Many of my friends work multiple jobs while being a full time student. They also have an internship to add into the mix. This is when time management and planners begin to become your best friend.

But let’s take some time to pencil in some time to relax. Despite what others may think, taking time to take care of yourself is essential, not selfish. You need time to watch funny shows on Netflix, to read a book or magazine or to write in your journal. You need to take time to go for a run, and to treat yourself to an afternoon spent at the coffee shop. With the rising amounts of anxiety spread on college campuses, it’s getting more and more crucial to take ten for you. We can’t sprint all of the time, sometimes you just need to jog.

As 2016 approaches, my goal is to take more time out of my daily routine to take some time for myself. I’ll pencil in time for work, and I’ll make sure I’ve completed every homework assignment to the best of my ability. However, despite the things I must do, I’m also going to pencil in some “me” time. Whether it’s reading a book for pleasure or catching up on my television shows, relaxation is the number one thing on my list. It may not cross off the many things you have to do in 24 hours, however, whenever you go to tackle everything on that list, you feel instantly refreshed.

Therefore, taking that time out of your day for you isn’t selfish. It’s essential.