12/12 Why I Write For The Odyssey

12/12 Why I Write For The Odyssey

Ever thought about writing for the Odyssey? Here's my experience with it and how I got started.

25
12/12 Why I Write For The Odyssey
marykate mclaughlin

When I was in high school, I started to see a lot of shared posts from the Odyssey show up on my feed. I really didn't understand or know how the whole process worked but after reading some of the articles, I began to think to myself that I had a lot of ideas that would possibly make good posts. I continued to read articles from the Odyssey throughout my high school years and it wasn't until the summer going into my freshman year of college that I realized that I could possibly become a contributing writer. I found at that the college I would be attending in the fall had their own chapter and I decided to apply and eventually became a contributing writer for the Odyssey at Eastern University. About halfway through my freshman year of college, the Eastern chapter disbanded but luckily, I found the Millenials of New Jersey chapter. After applying, I became a contributing writer and have been with the MONJ chapter since May of 2018.

The Odyssey is such an amazing community of writers. One of my favorite parts of writing for the Odyssey is that it doesn't matter how old you are, where you are from, or what you are majoring in in college, there is still a community for you to join and write for. English was one of my favorite subjects growing up and even though I have decided to major in Marketing and Business Administration, writing for the Odyssey allows me to pursue the love of writing that I have had since I was little. Although sometimes I find myself getting writer's block while trying to think of an article topic, I love that I am able to express my creative side and personality through writing for The Odyssey. Prior to joining The Odyssey, I had thought about starting a blog but was skeptical about the time commitment and dedication I would have to put forth with that. Through the Odyssey, I'm able to still write blog posts, without actually having to organize my own blogging website. As a college student who plays a division 3 sport and has a part-time job, I only have so much time in my week to spend doing outside writing. I love the flexibility that The Odyssey allows me to have. If I have a week where I am super busy, I can decide not to submit or if there is a week where I have a lot of free time, I can write more than one article.

Being a contributing writer also allows me to be a part of a wonderful creative community, through the Millenials of New Jersey chapter. Writing for MONJ allows me to connect with other creative and brilliant contributing writers. So if anyone reading this has thought of joining an Odyssey chapter but has been skeptical about it, stop talking yourself out of it and join a chapter so that you can express your creative side.