Why 'Wonder Woman' Is Important

Why 'Wonder Woman' Is Important

She's not giving up, why should you?

525
Why 'Wonder Woman' Is Important
The Mary Sue

Wonder Woman officially hit the box office on June 2, 2017. I attended a premiere screening with a friend at 7 p.m. on Thursday, June 1.

My friend had invited me to see the movie with her a few weeks prior to the release date. I must be honest, I was interested in seeing it, but I know nothing about the comics or about the background of Wonder Woman. I was going to see a cool flick but also to support a friend.

We made our way to the theater and reclined in the most comfortable movie-theater chairs. Our seats were located a few rows from the front to the right of the center. I must say they were good seats, I didn’t feel too close to the point where I had to completely jerk my head around to see one side of the screen and then the other. I was comfortably able to subtly turn my head when needed.

Wonder Woman directed by a female, Patty Jenkins, pleasantly surprised both sides of my “movie theater personality”. The first, a regular female who likes to watch movies about other females being badass females. The second, my more sophisticated film-critic side, which comes from my background in Broadcast Journalism. It’s almost inevitable that I look at things more deeply or consider the fact that they changed a detail in order to make it fit into the film version.

Wonder Woman is an important story for all people of our generation and the younger generations to know because it screams and shouts about very important issues in our world today. The female roles in the film are strong, sophisticated, and smart. Wonder Woman herself is stronger than any man that comes in contact with her.

The film also goes on to teach an important lesson about war and violence. I won’t reveal too much about the plotline, but the story involves World War I, or, “The War to End All Wars”. Diana Prince, or Wonder Woman, is faced with decisions that she was not exposed to while living in the Amazon. Her view of war is influenced by a man’s view of war, which is very different from hers. Along her journey to end this war, she is faced with understanding the fact that not all people are good and not all good people are good all of the time.

Wonder Woman is a strong, tall, athletic woman who kicks ass.

She is a significant role model for young women today.

It is her passion, dedication, and love that helps her fight this battle.

But along the way she learns what it means to be a woman, to love, to fight, and to fall.

This movie is so important because similar to other strong female roles, Wonder Woman teaches that women can be just as strong as men and stronger. However, the film does not portray men as weak, just simply equal.

Wonder Woman’s powers and strengths are not downplayed in this film. She certainly would not allow it. Diana’s mother tells her one thing before she leaves for the war, about the land of men, she says, “They don’t deserve you.”

Amen, amen. Amen, I say!