Why We Can't Ban Plastic Straws

Why We Can't Ban Plastic Straws

I'm all for saving the environment, but we need plastic straws.

652
Why We Can't Ban Plastic Straws

I understand that our environment is in trouble and that one of the proposed solutions is banning plastic straws. Multiple companies are phasing out plastic straws and even cities like Washington D.C. have instituted bans against the straws.

So why not? Who needs straws?

A lot of people, actually.

While your life may not be changed by missing that green plastic straw in your Iced Coffee at Starbucks, it makes a huge difference in the lives of people with disabilities.

Sure, one may suggest that people can start using reusable straws, but what happens if you forget your straw? What if you weren't planning on needing it? Reusable straws also present a sanitation issue, as they need to be cleaned. Having a plastic straw, which is clean and sanitized out of the package, is much easier for everyone.

Why are we banning plastic straws when they are needed, not just wanted, by members of our society?

Our biggest problem isn't the plastic straw.

According to an article from American University Radio, "Worldwide, it's estimated that straws account for about 4 percent of plastic pollution found in oceans by volume, but less than 1 percent by weight."

A person shouldn't have to feel guilty for using a straw when they need one. One person shouldn't have to take the fall for a world full of people who aren't doing their part to help the environment.

Banning plastic straws may seem like a solution to our plastic problem, but not a suitable solution for everyone.

For more information on how banning plastic straws would impact persons with disabilities, view this article.