Why The Summer After Your Senior Year of High School Is The Most Important

Some advice to next year's graduating seniors.

1751
Photo by Lance Anderson on Unsplash

Prom is over, graduation and finals are done, and at the beginning of the summer, you find yourself asking.

What now?

The stresses of applying to and touring colleges are over and you never even have to think about what AP class to register for again. The summer after your senior year of high school is arguably the most important. It's your last summer as a child, but you still have a plethora of adult freedom without the adult responsibility. Your friends are all still unchanged, and you get to have one last glimpse of high school and hometown life before you head off to college.

As I'm officially leaving for school in two weeks, there is not a whole lot about this summer I would have changed.

The advice I want to give to the graduating seniors who will be in my shoes this time next year is to do just that –– don't allow yourself to have regrets reflecting on this summer. It's the end of an era so make sure you accomplish everything you want to.

Whether it's traveling somewhere new with family, exploring a part of your state you never have before, or even just trying that new diner in your hometown, get it done. You don't have a whole lot of responsibility right now! You're in this blissful limbo of no longer being a high school student, but simultaneously not quite a college student yet. Here are a few other things I've learned this summer –– the summer after my senior year:

Spend time with your family! As much as you'll miss your friends, you've probably lived with your parents your whole life--and you leaving is just as hard on them as it is on you. Soak in the fact that you're still living in someone else's care, with food and free laundry machines constantly at your disposal.

Don't think about the future TOO much! This isn't to say you shouldn't prepare for college at all, but stressing over the future all summer won't help you achieve anything productive. If you're really nervous about something, talk to someone who's been in your shoes before.

I promise you: if you take advantage of this coming summer, it'll be one of the best you've ever had. You retain the life you've always had, while gearing up for the next chapter that lies ahead. Hug your friends, eat a home cooked meal, sleep in your own bed, go dorm shopping, get endless amounts of ice cream from your favorite place in town, work, explore, and just live.

The next year will be a little hectic –– but the best way to prepare yourself is to create fond memories to look back on when things get a little stressful.