Why the Rush for Christmas?

Why the Rush for Christmas?

It comes earlier and earlier each year...

75
Why the Rush for Christmas?
pixel2013

Halloween was literally a week ago. How in the world are stores allowed to be displaying CHRISTMAS decorations? Now don’t get me wrong, I am a Christmas fanatic! When it comes to Christmas, I am definitely the winter version of fall’s “Pumpkin Spice-Sipping, Blanket Scarf-Wearing, Basic White Girl.” My friends could tell you just how much of the movie Elf is in my permanent memory. (And shout out to my best friend Chandra for making my dreams come true and taking me to see the live version on stage!!) As much as I love Christmas and can’t wait for it to start, I cannot help but feel a little disturbed by how early the festivities and decorations start appearing. Each year, Christmas comes earlier. Why is this?

I’d like to propose a theory. I’m just wondering if this rush for Christmas has anything to do with feelings of discontentment and disconnection. I’m wondering if we subconsciously are trying to fill voids in our lives by extending the Christmas planning and celebration. Woah. I know, I know, it sounds really out there. But just hang with me...

It’s so true that sometimes planning for an event or trip is more fun than actually going. I don’t know why it is, but I think anticipation can give us a major mood boost. There’s something to look forward to - something that breaks up the monotony and gets us through the day. Christmas is a lot like this. I love the mock-comradery that sort of develops between shoppers in the mall. I enjoy decorating the house and pulling out the old ornaments. I love watching the Christmas movies that everyone else is watching and drinking hot chocolate. It all gives a feeling of warmth and connection. It’s a great thing! Why is it so unique to Christmas, though?

If Christmas makes us feel so wonderful, and we keep pushing it earlier and earlier each year, I think this shows that we as a society have trouble creating contentment and connection. Christmas does it for us, so let’s just start with the celebration and get this happy train rolling as soon as we can, right?! We have trouble finding genuine contentment and connection in the mundane, so we use Christmas as a way of supplying the joy and warmth we crave. I think this is kind of sad.

True contentment and connection can, and should, last all year. Joy doesn’t have to come in colors of green and red and connection doesn’t have to be mad-dashing together through the mall. Christmas is an amazing time, but I think it’s been spoon-feeding us for too long. We are more than capable of finding joy in August. We can definitely make friends and feel at home in March. I love the holly-jolly, but let’s live in the moments we have.