Why The "Economy" Is Not A Valid Reason To Support Donald Trump

All I ever hear is, "Look what he has done for our economy!".

31

Trump supporters, and even people of all political standings, constantly use the economy as a reason to support Donald Trump's presidency. Throughout the nation, his blatant racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia (just to name a few) are rationalized because of his so-called "improvement" of the United States economy. Not only does this rationalization completely disregard the work of Barack Obama, but it puts the value of money over human lives.

Although Donald Trump constantly flaunts his improvement of the American economy, what he has failed to acknowledge is the fact that the economy has been on a steady rise of about 2.5% per year, with unemployment also slowly decreasing. This trend started long before Trump's presidency. This chart from the BBC shows that this steady increase started in 2009, during Obama's presidency. President Obama entered his presidency while the country was in a recession and he was able to rebuild this nation practically from the ground up. Trump was handed this improvement and simply allowed the economy to improve itself without any major contributions. And when the coronavirus crisis hit, instead of actively and quickly rebuilding like Obama, he allowed us to slip into yet another recession. Also, the unemployment rate has gone up drastically due to the coronavirus pandemic, which was not correctly addressed by Trump. As a result of his negligence regarding the COVID-19 outbreak, unemployment is the highest it has been in the last fifty years. So, no, President Trump has done close to nothing for the economy.

From a different perspecitve, this blind support of the president based on a false idea shows the true character of indivuduals who use this rationale. You are allowing yourself to support such a vile human solely because of money, and ignoring his disrespect for anyone other than straight, white males. You overlook what he says about women, the sexual assault allegatons against him, what he is doing to defund Planned Parenthood (which provides much more than just abortions), his lack of empathy, moreover, hatred, for other races, his prejudice toward non-Christians, and his attacks on L.G.B.T.Q.+ rights. Yet as he dismantles the basic human rights of those who are not in support of him, people continue to back him. Is that not blind patronage? Isn't it selfish to support him at this point?

As the person reading this goes about their day and hopefully plans to vote in November, I urge you to please consider the above article. I ask that you base your decision for this coming election upon motives that may not appeal to your own agenda. Do some research beyond Fox News, ask yourself how you can aid others through your right to vote, and look beyond your privelege. The 2020 election has the potential make or break life for minorities in the United States. It's time to advocate for change.