Why 'Supergirl' Is So Important

Why 'Supergirl' Is So Important

Everybody needs their own hero.

85
Why 'Supergirl' Is So Important
Comicbook

The writers of the CW's new hit TV show "Supergirl" have done an exceptional job on Alex Danver's, Supergirl's sister, coming out arc. The amount of stories I've read on Twitter and heard from other people personally, I'm in awe of the powerful impact Alex and Maggie's relationship has had. It has brought me to tears numerous times because of the reality that takes place in many people's lives every single day without anyone knowing because they are hiding within themselves about it.

Chyler Leigh (Alex Danvers) has not only played a prominent role in the LGBTQ+ community, but also someone overcoming addiction. I can't imagine how hard it has been for her over the years, and she has said before she just wants to be an influential person to younger girls and everyone around her. Look where she is today. She is so compassionate and really invested in her work because it matters. She's helping all of us realize we are important whether or not we think we are. Little does she know how important she is to so many of us.

It's beautiful, really, seeing the astonishingly large number of responses to Maggie and Alex's relationship. Floriana Lima's (Maggie Sawyer) and Chyler Leigh's twitters, as well as the "Supergirl's" writers, have been flooded with stories and "thank you's" on their portrayal of reality. There have been many shows, especially lately, where there are a few characters that are in the LGBTQ+ community, but from what I've noticed they tend to not last very long. I don't know if it has anything to do with people thinking it's wrong and it shouldn't be on family shows, but it's really just the same as any other couple, in my opinion. If anything, the LGBTQ+ couples are more powerful and outspoken because they are so influential to so many.

It makes me proud knowing I'm so into a TV show that cares about humanity so much. What makes it even better is the actors and all of the crew put out their best efforts to genuinely show people that it's okay to be scared and that it's okay to not know what exactly you're feeling, but you do have friends and family that will 100% support you and you just have to find them.

So, this is a really big thank you to the masterminds behind the characters, especially Chyler and Floriana, for being a beacon of hope to many many others. You are helping people every single day to find their way through to accepting themselves and the people around them, and I don't think you quite know just how wonderful that is. You really are super.

Thank you, you two.

"Love is love is love is love is love is love is love, cannot be killed or swept aside." -Lin-Manuel Miranda