Why Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens Is The Best Direction For The Series

20
Courtesy of The Verge

The final, new trailer for Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens was released about two weeks ago. I believe the majority of Star Wars geeks can agree that they cannot stop trying to pick apart every little thing about this new trailer. However, that recent trailer is not really what I want to talk about; I want to take time to point out just how different this Star Wars movie is going to be from its predecessors and why I think this is one of the greatest things to happen to the Star Wars brand.

When you talk about the Star Wars brand the most important thing is always the visuals of the movies which help to bring to this galaxy from millions of light years away to life. Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens is being directed by J.J. Abrams. Abrams has long been a proponent, since the beginning of his talks to direct the series, of going back to using the practical effects within the film and within the first few trailers and teasers for the film a lot of the practical effects for the film can already be seen from the costume designs for some of the aliens and some of the spaceship shots that are present within the film. Of course, one of the more impressive shots of the film within the latest trailer and it was the new effect for light speed that is being adapted by Abrams for the film.

One of the biggest steps that Episode 7 is taking with this upcoming film is the diversity of characters that are going to be present within the film. Not just with the heroes of the film but with the antagonists as well. The movie has one of the first female leading roles with Daisy Ridley playing the role of Rey in the film.

You also have the series' first black male lead thanks to John Boyega playing the part of Finn who also appears to be our Jedi for this film thanks to this GIF that was released about a month ago.

You also have a series first having one of the first female antagonists with Gwendoline Christie playing the role of the storm trooper Captain, Phasma.

The best thing coming out of this series is the risks that are being taken by the ones that are in charge of production for this continuation of the Star Wars series. From the decision by J.J. Abrams to use more practical effects in order to keep more of the original feel of the series within this new string of movies that are going to start coming out within the next few years. These really feel like they are drawing from the original spirit of the three films without actually relying too heavily upon the nostalgia feelings that those movies held for numerous generations of people over the past 40 years. This film also seems to be focusing more upon the character development in these films which is exciting to see the writers focusing on the diversity and development of characters even within one single 2-hour film and it makes me even more excited to see the two upcoming sequels. If you want to check out the latest trailer check it out below and Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens opens on December 18, 2015.