Why You Should Join A Sorority

Why You Should Join A Sorority

16
Why You Should Join A Sorority

Growing up, I always knew that I would join a sorority when I went off to college. No one in my family was ever in a sorority, and all I knew about sororities was from what I saw in movies and TV shows. However, what isn't depicted in the movies are the real reason to join a sorority, which I already started to learn within a few days of joining. 

Lifelong Bond. The second I became part of a sorority, I automatically joined a part of something for life. No matter where I go, I know there will always be a sister of mine either in the work force, vacationing at the same place I am, or just shopping in the same store as I am. It gave me an additional network of people who I share a special bond with, that can never be replaced or replicated.

New Family. Not only did I get new sorority sisters, I also became a part of a new family within my chapter. I gained a big sister and a grand-big sister. While this sounds ridiculous to anyone outside of Greek life, it is one of the biggest honors to come with joining a sorority. I was able to find someone who was just like me, and will guide me through college and life, just as any true biological sister would. It gave me someone knew to look up to, and truly exemplifies what a sorority sister is. 

An Excuse to Wear Cool Costumes. Of course sororities come with the benefit of fun, themed events. When else can you utilize all your old Halloween costumes and accessories? These events give everyone a chance to read as literally or vaguely into the theme, and see how creative the costume can be. 

While the first two reasons are never depicted in the movies, they are probably the most important and most rewarding part about joining a sorority. There is no greater feeling than gaining new friends, sisters, and a family, that will last a lifetime.