Why I Took A Month Break From Odyssey

Why I Took A Month Break From Odyssey

I needed time to think, and here are my findings
432

Hello everyone. If you are familiar with my work you may have noticed that I haven't written for a bit, and I have a good reason for this hiatic. I have been struggling with writing. I have been wondering if I am writing for me, or just for the views and when it gets to this point, I had to take a step back. Here is what I learned from my time off:

1. Writing is a talent and a passion, not just a job opportunity

I started writing when I was in middle school. Starting with short stories and then moving to poems and research papers, and now writing for Odyssey. I have always been told that my writings were good and that I should start putting them out there for people to read. When I became a freshman in college, little did I know that I would join this fantastic social media platform. But lately, it has become a job that I don't get paid for and that I work so hard for. So during my time, I learned that I have to write FOR ME! Yes, page views are great, but I have to know that at the end of the day, I am a writer in my own life and this is a hobby.

2. I don't have to have a viral story, those who care will read

I have been so worried about having a great story that brings all of these views and attention to a particular issue but I learned that I don't always have to be the hero. My story or article will not always be the number one article and I probably won't solve any big life problem with my words but I can bring attention to those who read. I have friends and family that read my articles every week and that core support is so important as a student writer. I had some come to me and ask why I stopped writing and that said that I had viewers, maybe not a whole nation, but enough to make me happy.

3. If you need a break, take one

Since I started this platform, it has been a LONG TIME since I have taken a break from writing just because I needed one. In fact, I am not sure I have ever taken one. So as I took this time to breathe and regroup so that I could bring great content to those who read, I realized that I was getting burnt out. I thought this would just be a semester thing and now this March will be three years I have been writing, and June will be two years I have Editor. I have seen great success and horrid failure but never did I give up and this break was NOT me giving up. When you love something, you may need to take a moment and regroup but it is not quitting by any means.

Sorry, this article is a bit formal, I just wanted to address the questions and concerns. I love you all and be ready for amazing work in 2018.