Why My Exchange Students Will Always Be Family

True sisters are never apart, maybe in distance but never in heart.

8
Sophia Morin

On December 14, 2015, my family grew a little bigger, and a lot better by a small decision that will forever impact my life. Thinking about hosting an exchange student, or multiple? Great. It will be the best decision you'll ever have! Having exchange students will always change your family for the better, and give your home a little international essence!

My host sisters Giulia and Manuela have gone from being my exchange students to my sisters and now my forever family all in a little over six months. Manuela and Giulia have given me the ability to have the two sisters I never had. Being an only child, the adjustment period was a major struggle, as it should be, but I will never forget this experience and the amount of love they've given. These girls are my new world for various reasons. They taught me everything from patience to cute European fashion, to cheek kissing, to delicious Spanish and Italian food, and most importantly unconditional love.

Spending time with exchange students gives you a whole new perspective on the world around you and I couldn't be more grateful for their stories and their cultures. Meeting their families was one of the great memories I've shared. It didn't matter that we didn't speak the same language because we all had the common thought of joy. Speaking was replaced by endless hugs and kisses, and it didn't make a difference to me because I knew we were mutually thankful. The beauty in both families made me smile from ear to ear, and their gratitude was something you just can't explain. I'm beyond thankful to call both of their families mine, and will forever have a spot for them in my heart.

As time flies, I have nothing but less than a week left with my sisters. It saddens me to see them go as I'll miss their late night talks, our gossip sessions that last through the night, our adventures, and our strong bond. I'll miss their cheek kisses and their native language. I'll miss their laughter, and their ability to make me laugh whenever I need it most, especially when I come home crying on those extra sad nights. I can't thank them enough for everything they've done for me by coming into my life, and I can't even imagine what life will be like without them.

To my sisters, I love you both more than I can say... It's been a rough road sometimes but we always managed to hug it out. I'll miss you so much and will be a blubbering mess at the airport. Saying goodbye is the hardest part, but I would much rather say, "See you soon", instead, OK? You've given me more than I could have ever imagined my senior year, and I can't wait for more adventures in your home countries. Thank you so much for being the best two sisters a girl like me could ask for. Te amo, Ti amo, I love you.