Why My Dad Is My Hero

Why My Dad Is My Hero

Some people don't believe in heroes, but they haven't met my dad

134
Why My Dad Is My Hero

My dad has loved me unconditionally since the day he first laid his eyes on me. He was only twenty when I was born, which is crazy to think about since I'm twenty currently. My dad didn't have the best upbringing, but that, and having two kids by twenty years old never made him give up.

He's the most hardworking man I know.

He worked multiple jobs when I was a kid to make ends meet. Working any job he could possibly find so we had clothes, food, and could go on our school field trips. He fought for custody of my two brothers and I when I was twelve. And it was difficult. Going from only seeing your dad every other weekend to him taking you to school everyday was strange. We weren't use to him really parenting us because we were so used to it being "fun time" when we spent time with dad. So it definitely took some time to adjust.

I was angry with him for quite some time. I was angry he took me from my mom. But what I didn't realize at the time, is that God had a plan. And He knew exactly what He was doing, because now my dad is my best friend.

He's so selfless. He's made so many sacrifices in his life for my brothers and I. He gets up for work at 3AM, 7 days a week, and after getting off from that job, he clocks into the next. Is it strange to say I'm proud of him? Usually it's the parents who are proud of their kids, but I'm proud of my dad for all he has overcome in his life. He's who I look up to; he's my role model.

After losing my mom he stepped up to the plate.

There's so many things all girls learn from their mama. And without mine in my life anymore, my dad (attempted) to learn to braid hair, helped me dye my hair a few times, and even ran to the drug store for me when it was that time of the month. He has taken me to get pedicures and everything else in between. He became mister mom.

He didn't have to do any of this. After finding out he was about to have a second child after just having his first, he could've walked away. But he manned up.

He's changed my life for the better. He's the first person I run to when things go wrong, the person I cry and laugh with. He's never been afraid of doing girly things and listening to me complain about silly high school drama. He told me once that he thought his son's would be the most like him, but turns out his daughter is his spitting image.

And I'm forever thankful that God chose you to be my father.

You're my hero, Dad.